1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He said that in his book (I am told ... I haven't read it).

Perhaps the devil's in the ellipses, but assuming there's nothing untoward there, a fair reading suggests that nothing we've found out substantively undercuts what he wrote.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why aren't a group of journalists way more concerned about the egregiously inaccurate Politico headline, and subsequent careless re-reporting by others?

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  3. doctorquant

The reporters have bad DNA.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nothing undercuts what he wrote. ... except that he WASN'T OFFERED A FULL SCHOLARSHIP TO WEST POINT. But other than that, it happened.

5. Dick Whitman

LeBron James wasn't offered a scholarship to Ohio State.

6. doctorquant

Sure he was ... or at least he thought he was.

7. The Big Ragu

LeBron James' persona / fame isn't based on a bunch of books and promotional videos, as someone no one knew painted a picture of himself with an unverifiable scripted version of his life story. Millions of people have seen LeBron James do the thing that made him famous.

But equivocate away. It's a college football scholarship. No, it's LeBron James. No, it's Politico.

It's not about Ben Carson creating a puffed up bio filled with bullshit to sell inspirational books, and then deciding to run for president because he started to believe his man-of-the-year BS, and now finding himself under a microscope and having trouble explaining all of the embellishment.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I really don't know what to believe anymore. Was the story about him hitting his mom with a hammer true?

9. Dick Whitman

It is Politico. Their headline was bullshit. They walked it back. Other media outlets, including Fox News, ran the "fabrication" headline pretty much verbatim. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Shameful.

10. Dick Whitman

I think it's reasonable to wonder if Westmoreland ever extended such an offer, or something that could be understood as an offer. Your argument above, regarding that, is reasonable.

But taking Carson's story at face value, he "fabricated" nothing. And he certainly did not "admit" that he "lied" or "fabricated" regarding the offer. I kept reading the campaign quotes, over and over, for this "admission." I couldn't find it. He cut through the bullshit, right? Isn't that what journalists pride themselves upon?

"Bacon in same carcinogen category as cigarettes."

"The Association of American Universities recently polled more than 150,000 students at 27 institutions and found that 23.1 percent - nearly 1 in 4 - of undergraduate women and 5.4 percent of men had experienced some kind of unwanted advances."

11. Dick Whitman

She actually picked the hammer. Because fuck him.

(Name the movie for bonus points.)

12. The Big Ragu

Can you have a discussion without making it about an endless stream of nonsequitors?

This is about Ben Carson. Not about football scholarships. Not about LeBron James. Not about bacon or cigarettes. Not about a rape survey.

It's about a guy who created a bunch of embellished anecdotes (at best) to sell books and work the church group circuit (that eats up a good "god delivered me tale.") ... and now is finding the books and interviews he left behind inconvenient because they are filled with unverifiable and untrue things -- and people are actually having the audacity to try to verify some of the bullshit his built his persona on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.