1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Dick, your not voting has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I could bring you to tears, but I choose compassion. This time.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Obama won because people far preferred his vision of America and its place in the world. People are smart.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you can use 1980 as an example, since Carter was a failed President at that point, but yes, in general, this is the case I'm making.

"People would rather have a beer with George W. Bush than with Al Gore."

Only when you say it in regards to Obama, or Hillary, to people get defensive about it.

Of course Hillary is unlikable. "Obama himself laughed when declaring her "likable enough". So, the narrative for her is harder to craft. She's trying to reinvent and reintroduce herself in her '60's because her past policies have failed, and she's had to change them, and because she doesn't have a record of accomplishment.

So, we get this, "Don't you want to see a woman as President someday!" stuff, and a campaign that has to call Bernie Fucking Sanders a sexist and a racist.

5. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Here's what we know. We know he graduated from U of Michigan Medical School and we know he did his residency at Johns Hopkins. We know he was the preeminent neurosurgeon in the country. ALL that can be verified. Should we also have access to his grades? Absolutely, but I am willing to bet anyone my entire 401(k) his grades and credentials are far superior than just about anyone else's, because you cannot accomplish that if they aren't.

As to Obama, we know he graduated from Harvard Law and passed the bar. Do we know what his grades are? Do we know he actually went to Columbia? Did he ever argue a case before an appellate court? Did he ever file an amicus brief? Was he ever retained to represent anyone in a big case that went to the Supreme Court? Was he ever published by Law Review? Because just graduating from Harvard and even being president, not editor, or Law Review does not guarantee academic superiority? He could have graduated at the bottom of his class at Harvard for all we know and still graduated. You can't finish at the bottom of your class in Medical School and get a residency at Johns Hopkins and become the surgeon he became.

6. Dick Whitman

Like transferring to Columbia University, getting into Harvard Law School, and becoming the editor-in-chief of the Harvard Law Review, for example?

7. Dick Whitman

:)

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Why should Hillary be president?

9. Dick Whitman

Another reason Obama won was because his opponent's running mate was a pet rock.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I like Trump much more than Hillary. Rubio, too.

I think overall we are suffering from Lack of Likeability© on the presidential candidate stage this year.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Yes. OK.

And, he spelled out how his vision for America was shaped in his autobiography.

And, in nearly every instance, the crucial moment where he learned some lesson, or was motivated to follow a new path, was make believe.

We're really not in disagreement here. People elect the person, not some laundry list of policies. How the person is presented is a big deal.

And, if Ben Carson's personal narrative isn't torn down, the guy might get elected President. So, unsurprisingly, it's being torn down.

That didn't happen to the guy with the thin personal narrative in 2008.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Apparently we can surmise that a residency at Johns Hopkins indicates a student who was at or near the top of their med school class, but a fellowship at the University of Chicago could mean a student was at the bottom of their law school class. That's some solid logic.

dixiehack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.