1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Couldn't Westmoreland have thought Carson was a junior?

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can totally see an institution where applicants far outnumber admissions spots needing to recruit.

3. JohnHammond

And where's the birth certificate, since we're just asking questions?

4. Dick Whitman

Sure, but even Harvard recruits. Hell, I was "recruited" to apply to Harvard Law. West Point is competing for the best and brightest just like every other elite academic institution. In fact, they probably have to try even harder to sell good students on the West Point and Army experience.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Petraeus biography discusses how he was "recruited" and how a "full scholarship" was tempting.

And, let's be clear, it wasn't because he was a fucking soccer protégé in 1968.

He had leadership skills. His teachers recognized it and put him in touch with the right people at West Point.

I'm pretty sure that if the Army Chief of Staff saw the same in Ben Carson he could have arranged for a Congressional appointment and admittance.

Of course the USMA would have wanted someone like Carson.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But they do. They want the best class and they want/need minorities.

Police and fire departments don't lack for applicants, yet they still advertise, and recruit, especially for minority candidates.

7. Dick Whitman

Bateman brushes it aside, but note that Carson acknowledged in August, three months ago and before anybody gave a shit, that he only applied to one school, Yale.

8. JohnHammond

We're talking 40 years ago. As for Petraeus, his experience growing up a few miles from West Point was typical of many students in that era. I'm confident every high school in the late 1960s had several teachers who went to a service academy.

9. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

You said the media didn't vet Obama's records then you answer a single one of my questions.

I don't give a damn about his academic record. His failure as a president and his adherence to failing policies speak for themselves. Just don't tell me his record has been vetted when you can't even answer or provide evidence of simple basic things.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific about his "failure as a president?"

11. Dick Whitman

What. The Fuck. Are. You. Talking. About. You said he hasn't been "vetted." You said you don't know if he went to Columbia. I provided you evidence after evidence that he, indeed, went to Columbia. There are no records to "vet." You don't just march into Columbia University and ask for a former student's transcripts. That's not how it works.

12. JohnHammond

Someone was able to earn back their computer privileges at the group home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.