1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Country before party, right?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Odd that it'd be you who quoted that ...

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So which side are you afraid of?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Can somebody explain to me what exactly these conservatives believe they should have accomplished without the ability to override a veto? None of this makes any sense.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

So what do you think of the DNC screwing Lawrence Lessig out of a spot in the debate?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's the effort that matters. At least make Obama throw up vetoes and explain why, instead of rolling over and playing dead. There's also procedural things they could have done to throw up opposition, like denying funding, that at least would have made Obama and the Democrats make an effort to pass what they wanted. That also would have abided by the mandate of the conservatives who put them in office.
    Instead, they not only rolled over without a fight they actually gave Obama (and the presidency, which is the real key principle here) more power in the process. The Iran deal is a good example. They basically relinquished Congress' ability to ratify treaties instead of saying, "Ummm ... yeah, Mr. President, you're not allowed to do that."
    In short, to conservatives, the Republican leadership is complicit in increasing the power of the presidency and moving us headlong down the path toward a tyrannical monarchy. It's an unforgivable sin, and it should be to every American since the shoe will eventually be on the other foot.

old_tony and da man like this.
  7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It's cute people actually believe any president would gladly relinquish power that a predecessor, no matter which party they were in, exercised.

8. Baron Scicluna

I'll give you my answer when you find those racist posts you said I wrote. It's been a month now.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just want to say I don't use the "Like" button very often -- pretty much never, in fact -- but I "liked" this post.

Batman likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're not wrong.

There's no point in -- for example -- Republicans shutting down the government, if they don't have a plan for that to accomplish something. If they're not willing to take the criticism, and wait out the President, then what's the point of shutting it down for a week or two to accomplish nothing.

The problem is, that's not how they campaigned.

They said they needed the Senate to fight the President. They got the Senate.

They said they would stop the President's executive amnesty. They didn't.

Many said they would use the power of the purse to defund Obamacare. That didn't happen.

The Republican leadership seems content to say they voted on something -- or were prevented from voting on it -- and lost, but that they did all they could.

The base thought they would get more of a fight out of them. They thought they were promised this.

old_tony and Batman like this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Do us all a favor and demonstrate your overwhelming commitment to intellectual honesty: Fetch and quote (in this thread) JohnHammond's post accusing you of making racist posts.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

From Sept. 7, 2015:

And my very next response to him, which is on Page 61 of the Trump thread, was this:

Meanwhile, he's done nothing to show his work. He even wussed out and said I should be finding my own posts, when he was making the accusation.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.