1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best athlete you played with or against

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Played summer hoops in NE Ohio in the early '80s with former Ohio Bobcat center Sean (sp?) Carlson and against Wisconsin's Scott Roth.

I've played golf with four PGA Tour pros - the most recent was Brad Bryant. And Samuel L. Jackson ain't lying.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Thanks for that. Brad was my age, Brian a year behind. Brad was a stud at every sport. Brian was good as I remember, but not in Brad's league. Brad hit the longest homer I'd ever seen in a LL game against our team (thankfully, not off me). I swear he hit it 350 feet as a 12 year old -- over the gym beyond left field. I hope Brad gets his shot. I remember them both being pretty cool.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

barry sanders. he quit, though, because the competition sucked. [crossthread/]

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Tebucky Jones. He played RB and Safety in HS. HE took a pitch right, we had that covered, he cut left, nothing, back to the right, down the sidelines for a 65-yard TD. we were both undefeated at that time and knocked us out of contention for a while. OF course they also lost to a 2-6 team the week before Thanksgiving, so we won our final two games and tied for the Conference (league doesn't make distinctions between head-to-head or league losses)

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Three members of my high school football team my senior year went on to the NFL. Two of them are a quarterback and a kicker whose names you know. None of them is me.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I played junior tennis against a bunch of guys that went on to play in college (I chose to drink instead), but I can't recall anyone from my group that did much of anything in the pros. My brothers played against Agassi, Courier, Sampras and the rest of that bunch all through the juniors.

My brother Jack, who was top 10 in the country every year through the 18s, held his own against all of them. I know he never lost to Sampras.

Kicker John Kasay and I played soccer together in high school. He was a senior when I was a freshman. Best guy on PKs I ever saw.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I played in a high school football game against Marques Tuiasosopo who plays for the Jets now. He was amazing at Washington and was just unstoppable at Woodinville. I did tackle him once.
    When I was at UNLV I played catch with Randall Cunningham, he is a pretty cool guy.

8. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

Played high school football against — and was run over by — Emmitt Smith. Played high school baseball against Travis Fryman and Jay Bell. Pensacola was a hot-bed back in the day.

9. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Back in the late '90s when I was still good, played pickup hoops with Ray Allen, Chauncey Billups and John Starks at various times.

I got stuck guarding Allen in one game and I think he shot 211% from the floor against me. All were real nice guys even though they were so much better than anyone on the floor.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I played a 8th grade football game against Mark Grace.
    Kicked his ass.
    I remember it well because (a) I live Al Bundy's life and remember every football game I played as a kid and (b) in 12 years of football, it was the only game I played in the snow.
    But he went on to earn more money than me so he wins.

11. In the championship game of a big summer baseball tournament between my junior and senior years of high school, my team beat a team that included Alex Rodriguez, Johnny Damon, Todd Helton and Danny Kanell (NY Giants QB).

I pitched in the semifinals, so I didn't actually face them. However, we won 4-1 to win the title.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck. and here i was hoping to lean on you for last-minute tickets.

Draft saved Draft deleted