1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best bars in america

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jun 28, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The CI = a bunch of bratty frat boys when I was there. Bleech.

And the Greenery ruled, despite what everybody likes to claim now.

2. KP

KP Active Member

CI kicked ass, and I was NOT greek.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The CI SUCKED, and you hung out with Greeks. You've admitted to that.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I said it earlier, and I have no problem repeating it. The berg has zero of the ambiance it had before. Maybe that's changed since I was there last year, but I doubt it.
    Knowing Simon's luck, they probably don't serve under-agers anymore.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not an Upper East side type, but if you are around that area, the Subway Inn, near Bloomingdale's (60th and Lex?) is one of the oddest dive bars on earth. You kind of have to experience the interior to understand how the place takes "dive" to a new level, and I have only walked in there a few times, but without fail, you'll see a couple of homeless-looking guys staring into glasses, flanked by confused-looking tourists holding shopping bags.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

For me, F&M's is usually a last stop kinda bar, not that there's anything wrong with that. I like to see the drunk girls dancing on the pool tables, and their cheese fries (the bar's ... never got to sample a girl's cheese fries :) ) are stellar. Another NOLA haunt I love is Cooter Brown's. Truly impressive beer collection, bottle and draft. They've really improved their sports pub cred in the past five years by upgrading the TVs and expanding the dining area. Also a big fan of Fat Harry's (great Tulane waitstaff/bartenders/hotties) and The Kingpin.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu -- that place is awful in a good way. It is on my walk to work and there are always some 8:00 a.m. alkies knocking back a couple.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Concur on Captain Tony's over Sloppy Joe's.

I'm somewhat embarrassed I didn't even get into Madison (Wis.) bars, but I really didn't want to just say "State Street," and it was hard to focus on a single one. There are old places (Kollege Klub, just off State Street but close enough; the Pub) and new (State Bar and Grill almost at the Capitol.) And countless great neighborhood places all over town, although the new anti-smoking law is killing a lot of them right now.

Kollege Klub might be the most insane from a campus standpoint. When you read about UW athletes getting into trouble, their nights often started at the KK, as it was mostly known.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I never knew that place had a name. You were supposed to have a membership card key to get the door to open, but a credit card would work. The first time I went there I asked for directions and a woman on the desk said, "Take a left at the first group of hookers on Biscayne Boulevard." I thought she was joking, but she wasn't.

10. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

jones wrote:
    reminds me of a bumper sticker i saw behind the bar at the last dollar saloon in telluride while knocking a few back:
    "call a place paradise and ruin it forever."

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, this was the second one in a chain that started in Jacksonville, Ala. No idea what prompted the Kansas location.

They opened up a third Jefferson's a couple of years ago in Rome, Ga. It's mostly notable for taking a biblical epoch or two before serving your food.

12. midwestchic

midwestchic New Member

No, Nick's is known for Sink the Biz, a drinking game guaranteed to get you hammered. Most people have a story about how many pitchers they went through playing that game. Personally, seven of us went through 17 pitchers...Let me tell you a little story about a hangover the next day...

Draft saved Draft deleted