1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best bars in america

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jun 28, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Boy, I sure do. The 'Skeller ruled for my friends and I.

Although it still must place second to...

Sloppy Joe's in Key west.

2. midwestchic

midwestchic New Member

Nick's at IU — if you've never played Sink the Biz, it is worth the trip
    Coyote Ugly in Vegas — seems cliche, but the shots there are the size of two doubles
    Blues on Halstead in Chicago — nothing beats it
    Entire state street in Madison, WI

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That reminds me . . . Court Street in Athens, Ohio. I personally preferred the Cat's Eye, Lucky's and the Greenery while I was there.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Jefferson's - Lawrence, Kan.

5. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Sadly, my sources tell me it's becoming fratty. Also, I hear that since it started serving food a couple years back, it's lost all its character. I used to be a fan of that place because it was mostly quiet, devoid of dumbass people and had good drinks.

And I second the ol' Manhattan Cafe. Best place in Athens, hands down. I don't mind going to Sons of Italy, either, if only because A) there's plenty of eye candy and B) I can take my dog.

As for another place, I'm a big fan of Callaghan's in Mobile. Few people will know it, but it's a tremendous place. The only real neighborhood bar in town and it boasts the city's best burgers and the best juke box.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And the patrons inside, who are watching the front door/bouncer area on closed circuit TV on inside monitors.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Simon has my eternal respect for clueing me in to that place. The cheeseburgers do indeed kick ass.

8. 35in44

35in44 Member

I must concur with Faegan's and Awful Al's. And 44's, (long gone)

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Kansas CIty?

Wade Garrett: "The Double Douche."

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sigh.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Back in the old days, Widman's and Johnny's Beanery in Columbia were good places to tie one on. Good scenery with an ample coalition of the willing.

Draft saved Draft deleted