1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best burger you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 31, 2008.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Don't forget the Winger burger ... It's only 17 (ounces).
    As of this moment, I'm going with In 'n' Out first and the Chicago chain Portillo's second. Checkers/Rally Burger (isn't it the same chain or didn't Checkers take over for Rally Burger) is a good call as is Backyard Burgers in the Memphis area. Those are decent chain burgers ... I haven't had a memorable hamburger in a sitdown restaurant that I can think of at the moment. The only one I can think of is the one at Lambert's in Sikeston, Mo., but the rolls are so good there. That's just a great place in general, but I would go during a slow time unless you want to wait forever.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm sure they're great, but I'll fucking eat what I fucking want on my fucking burger, since I'm fucking paying for it, thank you very fucking much.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

No, I mean there is no ketchup or mustard for that matter in the joint. They have a sign that says you can get lettuce, tomato and cheese on your burger, but that's about it. I'm talkin old school--the burners are vertical and are from like the 1920s. You can't replicate the taste. An ice cold Birch beer from Foxon park does go along vey nicely.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Louis' Lunch isn't the best . . . though it's damn good, and worth a swing if you're in the vicinity.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think what he's saying is there's been a fucking 1,000 "best chain burger chain" threads on this board the past six months. why turn this into another?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This is as good a thread as any to return to after a two-month hiatus. For two reasons: a.) Ryan Sonner started it, and b.) it's about hamburgers.

Those who know me well would tell you I know my burgers pretty well. I'll list them in order of my favorites.

Phillips Grocery, Oxford, Miss. Nothing extremely special about the burger, i.e, it's not a monster. No gimmicks. Just tastes outstanding. USA Today agrees. Eat it on the picnic table outside with the seasoned fries and sweet tea.

Meers Burgers, Meers, Okla. The Meers Burger, made from the beef raised on the property, blends a homey, country, western flavor without a ton of extras. The biggest one is served in a "gold-mining pan" that's the size of a 9-inch pie plate. Wash it down with a beer brewed exclusively for Meers.

Sam's Burger Joint, San Antone. So big it's branded with the Sam's logo, but isn't too big to eat. I know. I've seen me do it ... repeatedly. Its taste is backed up with an awesome atmosphere. The inside of the joint is covered with old car tags and posters from Sam's concerts. Eat it at the bar or carry it over to the music hall and groove with the local blues players during Thursday night's jam session. Or any other night of the week -- they all have live entertainment, including poetry slams.

Cheeburger-Cheeburger, Auburn, Ala. Although I had to burn all my clothes and shoes when I left the Filthiest Village on The Plains in a hungover stupor, I proudly grace the walls inside the joint for eating the big one -- a 20-ouncer. Wash it down with an old-fashioned milk shake.

7. the fop

the fop Member

This is a great call, and you don't even have to leave your car. They bring it on a tray, like the old A&W drive ins.
    Also props to whoever said Tessaros.

Cincinnati has one of the alltime greats in the Girthburger at Zips Cafe in the Mount Lookout neighborhood. Broiled with a sliced mettwurst on top. Might require a visit to the cardiologist the next day, but I have fond memories of those.

For (smallish) chains, any love for the Varsity in the ATL?

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Hell yes, I loves me some Varsity. The Varsity enabled me to shake off a gin-and-tonic hangover from a wedding reception in Augusta in 2004. Woke up in a stupor, felt good enough to drive to the ATL, downed some Varsity, which settled my system enough to allow me to drive halfway across the country that day.

Bless the Varsity and those who work there.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Do they still have the old man who stands by the counter and recites the entire menu? Or did heaven need another short-order cook?

10. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

where's the best burger you ate in the PNW?

and welcome back.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Camellia Grill is indeed open.

I can't vouch for the current state of the restaurant other than that it's still open, but Christy's in Starkvegas made a pretty mean hamburger when I was in school there. Don't know if it's still good, and I tend to eat barbecue at Little Dooey's multiple times when I'm in town. We used to go in both places in school with exact change. At Christy's, I'd always get the double cheeseburger basket. It's actually a big paper bag that's got the burger then the rest of the space filled with fries. If you paused from chomping, you could basically hear your arteries hardening.

Oh, to be young and able to eat that stuff again.

Draft saved Draft deleted