1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best burger you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i wish i knew the location of odessa american SE chris gove's favorite burger joint.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Aunt Gravy's in Harrodsburg, KY (hope it's still open).

Nick Yeast, the owner, is the chef and makes Nickburgers, which were the greatest things ever.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Carytown Burgers = intensely overrated in my book. What would seem to be a strength (the fact that they deliver) turns into a big problem when you factor in their laziness in getting the burgers to you. I ordered their Italian burger (garlic and peppers...believe it was called the Godfather) for delivery and it was a soggy mess by the time it got to me.

I realize that's a one-time thing, but I've always been disappointed whenever I eat there, and it always goes back to the lazy stoners that work there.

Now for a good Richmond burger (albeit one you can't get with all the fanciness at CB&F)? Bullets, son.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've had some great burgers but I have a soft spot for a White Spot Triple "O" burger. Probably because I grew up in Vancouver and there are sentimental attachments but my family knows that whoever picks me up at the airport is stopping at White Spot on the way back to their house.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, do i ever hope you mean vancouver, wash.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I can't really remember any burgers in the PNW that stuck out. I had some decent barbecue at some joint in Missoula and some great smoked salmon from Emmon's Meat Market in Corvallis.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

No. A thousand times no. Of course, my bad Bullets experience (the one and only experience) might stem from watching the clerk who processed my order, handle it with his uncovered hand bandage...after he scratched his nuts in plain view. So, I say nay to the Bullets' Nut-Scratchin' Bandage Burger. :-X

8. gretchd

gretchd Member

There was a place at the Luxor that made an incredible burger. It was built to order and I got mine with shrimp. It was incredible.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Haha...gross. On another note, I thought of another solid Richmond burger joint (at least on the Southside): What-A-Burger (not affiliated with the Texas chain).

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I live in a town where our readers voted McDonald's as the best burger in town. I don't know if that says more about our town or our readers....

Still, the best burgers I've had in a long time are the ones I make.

(Ground turkey that's sat for a bit in a bbq/beer/hot sauce/jalapeno juice mixture, onions and jalapenos on whatever bun I have lying around. It's an inexact science, but always turns out damn good.)

I'll second whoever said Swenson's back in the OH. They're damn simple burgers. No clue what makes them so good. But they are good.

Ruby does make a mean burger as a chain. But man I'd kill for a really good local place :(

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I was going to dispute your claim of "chain," but I looked it up and read there are six Varsity locations now. Holy hell. I don't even know what to think about that. That's a life-altering realization.

Anyway, I swear it shouldn't be true, but it is: for some reason, the Varsity in Atlanta has always tasted different to me (and, in all honesty, better) than the Varsity in Athens. Not that the Varsity in Athens isn't good -- those wonderful Frosted Oranges go down the same way -- but the flavor somehow tastes slightly different, and I just like the one downtown better.

That said, much love for the Varsity. I've got about three "last meals" to choose from if I were on death row, but two chili dogs, two chili burgers and an FO from the Varsity is on that list.

12. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I'll second that. My innards never appreciated the Varsity in Athens or the ATL during my time in the Peach State, but it sure tasted good.

Six Varsitys? WOWSERS.

Draft saved Draft deleted