1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best burger you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Never tried it. Looks like it opened a year or two after I moved away from the area.
    Usually go back to visit every year, so maybe I'll check it out this spring.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

New place in Toledo called BurgerBar 419. Great menu, great chefs there and they have awesome craft beer tasting/pairing parties.
    They make a fantastic kafka burger, and even have an espresso-crusted burger. Very experimental and every burger is 10 bucks...and they are a HUGE 1/2 pound.
    Did I mention the craft beers?
    Tons of homemade ketchups, mustards and mayos as well.

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I love In-N-Out. Wish there was one in my area.

There used to be a place in Las Cruces, NM called Henry J's that had awesome burgers. It had a fixen's bar a lot like Fuddruckers, but the burgers were made with real fresh meat some tasty spices.

Also had a good burger several years ago at a hole in the wall place in Lafayette, LA called The Judice Inn. The place wasn't much for atmosphere and there menu was limited (chips, no french fries) but the burgers were outstanding.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Henry J's was awesome.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Probably some better places to eat some beef in Amarillo.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It might not be the best I've ever had, but I made some green chili turkey burgers this week that I'm damn proud of.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

On the cheap route, I had a double cheeseburger at Dairy Queen three or four times recently. That Brazier burger was tastier than anything you'll get at McDonald's, Wendy's or Burger King, and it's right up there with Five Guys, Steak and Shake, etc. The Dairy Queen burger was char-grilled taste at its finest, just as good as it was years ago. Talk about reclaimed gold ...

I can't imagine In-and-Out being any better, either. Wish I could try it, though.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You were just now talking about Ray's Hellburger.

I love a good burger with absolutely nothing on it, but I also love a good burger with bacon and cheese and jalapenos and onions and barbecue sauce on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What does Ray's Hellburger have to do with your weird obsession with lettuce and a second meat?

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ray's offers more toppings than Fuddruckers.

11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

There was a burned-out mini trailer in the middle of nowhere in War County, W.V., on the side of the highway slinging cheeseburgers for $1.25 in 1989. Had one and a bag of Lay's with a Coke. Ordered four more burgers for the road and they lasted all of 20 miles.

One small meat patty, cheese, lettuce, pickles, yellow onions and tomato. You could tell the produce was local it was so fresh. Some kind of sauce that was part mayo, part Hot Wing, part Heinz 57 and part Blue Cheese Dressing as near as I could tell.

Just phenomenal.

Passed back by two weeks later and the trailer was gone. The Devil's Burger? Maybe. I'd eat them until the coronary took me to the Great Burger Trailer In The Sky.

Best burger from a place you can find? Love Burger at Love Shack in the Stockyards in Fort Worth. And it ain't even close.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That is a fan-f'n-tastic story!

Draft saved Draft deleted