1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best game shows of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2017.

1. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

Allen Ludden, the late husband of Betty White, hosted the College Bowl. Another host was someone named Robert Earl, who also had a professorial look.

The Weakest Link was a horror and against every ideal of quiz shows in the United States. A mean-spirited host and no consolation prizes or home-game versions for contestants who didn't win.

I used to like "The Who, What or Where" game which came on after Jeopardy when I was young. It was hosted by Art James, who also hosted the College Bowl. I love game shows.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Um, mezazoic for the win!

A great game show allows you to play along - so Jeopardy is a natural. Match Game is a personal fave because it recognizes cleverness. I was never a fan of shows that were too "luck-based" or required no skill from the players involved.
    I don't know if you could do Name That Tune these days because of the death of Top 40 Radio - let alone many well-known songs would prompt FCC complaints.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  4. georgealfano

5. georgealfano

fixed, I think. I'm never gonna give up

Vombatus and Riptide like this.
  6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

If Jeopardy is at the top of the list, this should be on there somewhere.

poindexter likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

1) Jeopardy
    2) Pyramid

Pleased to see the Pyramid is back for a summer run.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have given way too much thought to game shows, and I think there's an argument to be made for The Price is Right being No. 1, and it wouldn't be a troll or contrarian argument. It's a perfectly designed show. Built to reward ordinary people, a good mixture of luck and skill, a high win-per-minute rate—members of the audience first named to Contestant's Row, then the little victory to get up on stage, then the individual games, then The Wheel, then the Showcase Showdown—that's what all good game shows do and I'm not sure any does it better than The Price is Right.

Throw in Bob Barker and Barker's Beauties and you have an all-time great show.

I Should Coco and MTM like this.
  9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ah, but there was only one true host for the "Dating Game," Jim Lange. A great DJ for KSFO and other Bay area radio stations outside the TV bubble.

maumann likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Chase on GSN was a great trivia game show. Mike Greenburg did 'The Duel', which I thought was a good concept, if poorly executed with morons as contestants. NBC did a trivia show the last few summers that was pretty good. Completely blank on the name.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Or this:

[​IMG]

"Why do black people smoke menthol cigarettes?"

" 'Cause that's what Newports are?"

"THAT IS CORRECT!"

Draft saved Draft deleted