1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie of the year so far: Bourne Ultimatum.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 30, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Damon's been in a lot of good stuff. Check out "The Rainmaker", one of the better Grisham films and Courage Under Fire with Denzel, Meg Ryan, Lou Diamond Phillips and Balki.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I once interviewed Bo Eason, a former NFL d-back turned actor. He was in a movie with Glenn, shooting a scene where the two were both in the front seat of a car.

During the inevitable downtime setting up shots, Eason was halfway hoping to hear a bunch of acting insight, but all Glenn wanted to talk about was Steelers football.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Apparently Bill O'Reilly hates The Bourne Ultimatum because it will encourage terrorists to believe that the U.S. government is bad and incompetent.

4. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

At chasing the world's greatest assassin?

5. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

Gotta give a friendly disagreement on the Indiana Jones trilogy. The second one was incredibly lame compared to I and III, which I loved.
    I loved Bourne Ultimatum though.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Saw this movie a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. But I loved the Ludlum books, too, so it's not a surprise. Now, if only Dirk Pitt could have made as seamless a transition to the big screen...

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought the movie was excellent, and JR, I think you're totally wrong about Damon. Rent "The Talented Mr. Ripley" if you want to see Damon stretch his legs as an actor. I think more than most of the actors of his generation, he gets it. He might not have, say, Johnny Depp's range, but name another actor his age who is better. I bet you can't come up with very many.

And while we're on the subject of acting, I'd just like to state, again, for the record that Julia Stiles is a joke of an actress. A joke. Every time she was on screen in this film, I wanted to cringe. The scene where Jason is in the dude's office in Spain and Nicky shows up was so painful, I cannot believe it wasn't cut for sheer awfulness. Stiles has three facial expressions: boredom, constepation, forced joy. And here is the best evidence I can offer to back my point ... Stiles actually lost out to Jessica Alba for the role of Sue Storm in Fantastic Four. Out-acted by Jessica Friggen Alba.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Pleeeeeeeeze. I'm sure the fact that Alba had heat coming off her and looks 10X better in spandex than Stiles had NOTHING to do with it. Stiles can act circles around Alba. However, I do slightly agree with you about her facial expressions. She always looks pissed off or confused.

9. Count me in the not a fan of Julia Stiles group. I think she's mildly attractive at best and her acting doesn't help her much. I can't think of any movies I've seen her in where I thought she was even decent.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I can almost promise you that if the director and producer of this series could do it over, they would case someone other than Stiles in the first movie. If the Nicky character is going to emerge as a bigger player in future movies, Stiles wooden acting is going to limit everything they can do. I actually admire her for graduating from Columbia (with a degree in English lit no less) and we actually share the same politics, but she's just not a good actress. Maybe it's what the director is telling her do, I don't know. I think Natalie Portman is a decent actress and George Lucas obviously told her to act like a cardboard robot in the Star Wars prequels, but she's just not good. She's cute, but not good.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I liked Julia in a Guy Thing and 10 Things I Hate About You, but she has since started taking on roles far beyond her meager acting abilities.

And Matt Damon is one of the better actors working right now. He tends toward more serious roles, but so do plenty of other "great" actors.

12. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

All the Jason Bourne movies have been excellent. Only if people knew how true this stuff really is.

Draft saved Draft deleted