1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional restaurant chains

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You know, I'm trying to think of New England chains and just coming up blank. In Boston there's a Legal Seafood in many a shopping mall and the aitport, but that's too pricey for this thread. Of course, HoJo's and Friendly's are New England chains, but they're in the deceased thread.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Plenty of Legal Seafood in D.C. too. Heck, in-game interviews on Capitals' broadcasts are called the "Legal Seafood Bite of the Night."

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I really like DDD and Guy. He’s enthusiastic and complimentary of the places and people he visits.
    He doesn’t belittle, criticize and yell at the regular people. He’s not there to make himself look good at anybody’s expense. He’s hilighting quality without being snooty and he seems genuinely happy to be where he is and doing his show.
    He may be a bit over the top but he’s endearing not grandiose

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've got to say, I've always liked the show, especially in the early days, but I've eaten at a good handful of places on it and not all in the same area and most haven't been very good.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I used to eat at one that was really good before it went on his show. The next year, not so good. I asked the owner what had happened. He said the place was swamped with people after the show aired, and he just couldn't maintain quality with that many patrons. Said it was the worst thing that could have happened to his place.

6. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Raisin Canes is solid (they have recently infiltrated MN) but it drives me NUTS that you can only get their stupid thousand island-style sauce - and that's IT - for your dipping sauce. I like ranch for a dipping sauce, and I'm stunned they wouldn't offer BBQ sauce at least. Every time I'm in there I complain like the old, bitter man I have become...

Big Circus likes this.
  7. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

We are kindred spirits, with very similar backgrounds, it sounds like. One funny thing about Happy Joe's pizza: didn't a large cost like $30, even back in the '90s? I seem to remember that...

8. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

I had a buddy who worked at a LoneStar in HS. He claimed they do ungodly things to your food, like dropping salads on the ground, scooping 'em back up, and serving them.... You may wanna give Texas Roadhouse a try if they're in your area. A slight upgrade. ... And Outback is usually fine, depending on the location -- much like a lot of chain restaurants...

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Runza's is my freaking Kryptonite. Those sandwiches taste pretty good, but DESTROY my stomach. I believe it's cuz they feature like puree'ed onions. Oof. Not good to be on I-80, in the middle of NOWHERE, once those evil sandwiches have your stomach in their clutches... (<--- Separate thread idea: Nightmare travel stories like that? :)

10. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Wow. Emphatically disagree...

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

99 Restaurants seem to be everywhere. Ate at a couple the last time I was in New Hampshire. Another small seafood chain up there is Weathervane. I loved the fried clam strips but most people ordered the double lobster special.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're right. I forgot about the 99. It is everywhere. Should've remembered as one in Charlestown was site of major gangland slaying back in the '90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted