1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional restaurant chains

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Sep 25, 2017.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Now I'm thinking about Stories and craving the pecan-encrusted mountain trout, shaved brussels sprouts and cheese grits, with a Duck Rabbit brown ale on the side. And it's 7:45 am and I'm at work about 1,000 miles away. Damn you.

expendable likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have yet to make it to a Primanti Bros., and they're popping up all around our area. Not particularly wild about a stack of fries in my sandwich, though.

There's a little burrito chain in York County, Roburritos, that swears by fries in their burritos. Uh-uh. I'll take my fries on the side, thank you.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have always always wanted to go to Primanti Bros.....heard it is phenomenal.
    There's a burrito joint here that makes "The Beast".....3 different kinds of meat, 2 kinds of beans, rice, guac, sour cream, hot sauce and fries.
    Haven't had it yet, but heard it is fantastic.

4. jr/shotglass

My favorite burrito for years, from the aforementioned Neato Burrito, has no meat.

Jalapeno cheese tortilla
    Black-bean hummus
    Dirty rice
    Lots of cheddar cheese
    Jalapeno-and-feta salsa
    Sriracha
    Onions

It falls apart quickly, but it is oh-so-good.

5. albert777

albert777 Active Member

One of the best up-and-coming regional chains around here is Half-Shell Oyster House. They've based in Biloxi, or maybe Gulfport, and they've got about a dozen locations along the Gulf Coast from Sarasota, FL to Lafayette, LA. It's an upscale New Orleans-style seafood restaurant, but they also serve steaks, chicken, po-boys and burgers, and it's reasonably priced.

Batman likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh that sounds good.

7. jr/shotglass

The ingredients definitely mesh, sir.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forgot which thread I was on for a minute. Still, I can't bring myself to support a business that was started in Statesboro, Ga. when I'm back in Boone. It's just not right.

I've never been to The Gamekeeper, but I've always wanted to try it. Try Come Back Shack on Blowing Rock Road for a good, quick burger. Sunrise Cafe on 105 makes a good breakfast.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Half Shell is freaking awesome. There's one near us and we love it. Never had a bad meal there.
    The gumbo and sweet potato creme brûlée are both to die for.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I drive right by Come Back Shack all the time (the only Starbucks around is in the Harris Teeter right behind it and when I'm in town I work out sometimes at CrossFit Postal right across the street). Always been curious -- I'll check it out next time we're down.

expendable likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Red, Hot & Blue BBQ is pretty good here in the MD-VA area. Don't think they have one in DC.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Ate there a couple times in NC many years ago. It wasn't bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted