1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional restaurant chains

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Sep 25, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Anybody 'round here ever hear of Skin Thrasher's hot dogs? Little beer joint/hot dog place started in a company house near a cotton mill in Anderson, SC. Became a favorite of governor's wives and former Presidents, and named by NPR as one of America's Top 10 hot dogs.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Doesn't one of those cost a few thousand dollars while the other costs $50?
    Seems like a wide variance in gift value.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Oh, man, is Your Place still around? For some reason I thought it went out of business; wasn't the original in Union Deposit and didn't it burn to the ground 15 or 20 years ago? I'd drive a long way out of my way for one of those strombolis.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Union Deposit original was where I met my wife. :)

Yeah, it burned down. That entire area exploded with strip malls anyway.

There are four Your Places now: Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg (Carlisle Pike), Hershey, Lancaster.

They offer lunch buffet M-F and dinner buffet on Wednesday nights, all the boli, pizza and extras you can eat for $10.95. If I go for lunch, I touch only one thing.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

No one's mentioned Taco John's yet?

Speaking of, no fast casual Tex-Mex I've had touches Tijuana Flats (original near UCF). Freebirds World Burrito comes closest.

54th Street Grill (St. Louis?) is actually pretty good. Much better than Johnny's Tavern (Lawrence, Kansas).

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I have, of course. Never been to the original, which i understand is great. The one I went to in the burbs was mediocre and alcohol free.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

But has 54th Street ever had a 25-cent beer night? Both the best and worst idea ever?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My wife raves about that place. Mostly from nostalgia, I think, since we've been together 12 years and have never eaten in one together.
    Only time I ever ate there was before a football game in Pelahatchie once. Seemed OK. Nothing special. Didn't realize it was a small chain at the time.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'd consider them a national chain. Their website shows locations in 23 different states, from Virginia in the east to Washington in the west. Most of them are in the upper Midwest and western states ... Minnesota has 62 (!).

And just because ...

[​IMG]

Lt.Drebin and Iron_chet like this.
  10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I have to say, I don't get why Nebraskans love Runza so much, but I remember liking Valentinos when we'd go up there as a kid.

Maryland, Delaware and NJ have Cluck U, which is pretty tasty when you're craving wings late at night.

Lt.Drebin and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Used to live right up the street from one in Trenton. Never had the wings, but their cherry dipped ice cream cones are awesome.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

That was my Coco signal. I knew you'd come through!

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted