1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional restaurant chains

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I was just about to post that. Good call.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

In the NOLA and Red Stick area: Ralph and Cacoo's.

No need to order an entree. Just get the shrimp "cocktail" which is like a pound of all peeled shrimp. And the crawfish steamer appetizer.

BTW, the one in Red Stick was the first place I ever had a Tecate, and I thought it was great with lime and salt.

Later on I learned it's considered one of the worst Mexican beers. But I still like it anyway.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Down there in Texas, friends say Torchy's is really good.

[​IMG]

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I still have a mug that I got from Ralph an d Cacoo's when I went to NOLA for the Hokies-Texas Sugar Bowl in '95.

Aside: I'm freaking old.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Culver's of Wisconsin has been mentioned, but another solid burger fast food joint in the region is Freddy's (Wichita based). Had a double, California style today, in fact.

I mentioned Freebird's earlier, but what's the verdict on another Texas-based burrito chain, Fuzzy's? I don't love it.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Freddy's is my go-to spot. Great thin and crispy burger, tremendous fries, also thin and crispy.

Fuzzy's??? Never heard of it, which is a shock since there are several in my area. Must suck :)

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Amen to that. Extra seasoning, swiss cheese and with a cup of au jus. Makes me want to hop in the car right now.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Fuzzy's and Freddy's have both made it out to Virginia.

My grandfather was in DC with a tour group for veterans this summer and we went up to meet him and they were having lunch at Freddy's. I was like, guys, you can choose from anywhere in the entire DC area and you picked the same place you go every week in Salina?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Torchy's has damn good elote (street corn) and passable tacos.

When at Fuzzy's, get the chicken nachos. They're really good and smothered in queso AND garlic sauce.

My fav fast food chili is Steak N Shake. Dip the shoestring fries in the chili...yup, that's the spot. SNS was one of the few places when I was a journo open 24-7 on the weekends, so there were a lot of Friday nights after football when I cruised through the drive thru at 2 a.m. for a fix.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Freddy's is a fairly recent addition to my part of Colorado. My favorite fast food burger outside of In-N-Out, which we obviously don't have.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

By whom is it considered one of the worst?
    You, sir, are being fed untruths.

12. Agreed.
    Tecate is not even in the top 10 worst Mexican beers.

Draft saved Draft deleted