1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do you have experience with her, or are you just calling her a liar from a distance?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with her. I do have a lot of experience with students and professors. Let's consider the latter first.

I'm sure I've met a racist professor or two in my day, but racist professors keep their thoughts to themselves in this day and age. Calling a fellow faculty member the n-word would put you on the "For Cause" dismissal fast-track. And she says that's happened "a few" times. Yeah ... no.

I have heard of students exhibiting behavior similar to that which she mentions. The instances I've heard of involved either: A) Indian students of one caste being dismissive of instructors they believe to be "beneath" them; or B) Muslim (male) students being disrespectful of female (Muslim or no) instructors. Even those instances have been very, very rare, however, likely for the simple reason that students who feel that way also know that, in the end, the instructor holds the cards grade-wise.

Now, could the things she says happened actually have happened? Of course. But I am very, very, very skeptical.

P.S. Assuming the things she said happened did happen ... why'd she bury the lede? She's a journalism professor, for God's sake! Being called the n-word by colleagues or students speaks exactly to the heart of the matter in the current tussle. That's gotta go up top.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wolfe just resigned.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Time to eat.

BTExpress and YorksArcades like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Aside from the black experience/racism thing, I just love the power that these unpaid students wield over a University. Awesome.

I hope this happens a LOT more. You have the power, folks. Use it.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Iirc there was something up top about being taken from her Facebook post, which isn't my favorite way of doing journalism but would explain why her inverted pyramid game was off.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

What does one eat, coming off an x-day hunger strike?

10. heyabbott

Have the protestors named a new University president?

11. heyabbott

Hennessey and OJ, Chicken and Waffles

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

All of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted