1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Monday - Is this the worst day for print journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Some of us have been told to take an indefinite furlough.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Well, apparently snark is easier than standing up for one's own words and actions.

Still waiting for an answer here. Sonner. WHY is it OK for you to find your own escape hatch, but you want to prevent others from discussing the business in ways that might help others do the same?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Man, the more I read this thread, the more I realize I made the right decision a few years back.

I'm sorry to hear that, TwoGloves. I can't imagine what you're going through. Hang in there, bud.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sorry to hear that, mate. Been there, done that, know how it feels. Wish you the best.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Read the thread. How am I "preventing others from discussing the business in ways that might help others do the same?"

Please tell me....how am I doing that?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ryan, I can't speak for others but from reading the thread, it appears as though you are coming down on people who use the site to vent. And since you are no longer in the business having escaped (good for you I might add), it appears as though you are teasing those who are suffering.
    Just my take. Probably not shared by others.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you believe that, you are completely clueless.

8. lono

lono Active Member

The publisher of the Charlotte Observer was on NPR this morning talking about how cutting 30 more jobs out of the newsroom won't reduce the quality of the paper and won't be something readers will even notice.

How much of a kick square in the nuts is that to the people who just lost their jobs?

"Hey, not only are you fired, no one will be able to tell you're gone."

Disgraceful, just disgraceful.

9. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

It's also an outright lie.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Yes, of course, it's a lie. I figured all of us already knew that, which is why I didn't specifically mention it.

11. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Well, the more publishers say stupid shit like this, the more they ought to be called out on it. She went on NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO to basically call her former employees worthless and the station's listeners/paper's readership morons?

Fuck assuming we already know. She needs to be called a LIAR in big, bold font.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

If I'm so clueless, why have you been arguing over something so stupid? Hmmmm.

Draft saved Draft deleted