1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Monday - Is this the worst day for print journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Mar 23, 2009.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and i wonder why i'm never around anymore....

not sure i can now that i'm off the antidepressants

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm hearing ya. (And welcome back.)

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here's my pissing:

My paper announced furloughs Friday. Today, I had the joy of calling around to the guys on staff to find out when they are going to take their furloughs. I had the joy of answering questions about how they were supposed to get by, how the section was going to survive, etc.

Oh, the joys of being in management.

I know management gets pissed on to no end here, but it isn't like it is fun having to be the bearer of bad news, especially when decisions like this are made much higher than I am on the food chain.

No one enjoys any of this, but I guess at least I wasn't laid off on Friday. I have that going for me and my staff.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, aside from all the crap on here about whether we need a single thread about all the bad news happening today, I've now heard that at least one very highly respected former colleague at the L.A. Times was among those who were let go. I'm wondering if there's more news out there that somebody could provide.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Are any of these folks your former colleague?

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/03/sacramento_coverage_takes.php

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm sure you understand it from the rank and file point of view too, though. I know you don't enjoy telling an employee that he has to take a week off without pay. I'm sure you wouldn't relish the prospect of letting someone go if it had nothing to do with her performance.

The disconnect lies in how unfair these cuts are at their core. If Johnny Reporter is supposed to cover his beat thoroughly and a competing paper is wiping its ass with him, people don't have a problem losing that from their shop.

But when they see someone who's been a solid citizen, not just a great employee, get the axe for no other reason besides money, it tells the rank and filer that no matter how good you are, don't make too much money or don't stick your neck out or you'll be next.

When they hear the usual bromides about "doing more with less" or "this won't affect the great coverage we're providing you" when everyone who has half a brain cell knows otherwise, we're tired of being fed the same crock of shit time and time again by bosses who only pay lip service to the idea of upholding journalism standards. And by some bosses who don't even attempt the lip service.

It sucks if you're a manager and you have that coming down from above, but get used to it. It ain't fun being a boss in this climate, but you'll get no sympathy from the rank and file, some of whom would love your larger paycheck no matter what headaches come along for the ride. Believe me, I know.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

After 26 years, I got whacked today along with most of our staff. We had six full-timers and three part-timers. One full-timer and one part-timer survived. Fuck.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that TwoGloves. Man this business sucks.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Fuck. That's brutal. Best of luck, TwoGloves.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry to hear that, dude... are you gone immediately or when the changes in take effect.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wow. They tell people these things at places? We just get e-mails.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And that sucks gloves, I really enjoyed the prep football coverage you guys did.

Draft saved Draft deleted