1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. accguy

accguy Member

Agree with qtlaw's words on "The Headhunter," I thought it was quite good.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Chris Ballard's book "One Shot at Forever" and it has been good so far.

Need to finish it up as I only have a few days left. Love the Overdrive app on my ipad and free ebooks from the library. I would have probably never purchased this book, but it has been a good read.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, too. I read Nesbo's other books, and they were a little over the top for me, plotwise. Just too much. "The Headhunter" was all kinds of fun.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

"No Easy Day." Bottom line, the guy is not a great writer and didn't get a lot of editing. He seems to think we should all be extraordinarily interested in his equipment and how he arranges it and wears it every day. I guess he wouldn't have had much of a book if he just wrote the story of the bin Laden killing, maybe two chapters at best. Anyway, I'm just at the point where they are flying to the compound.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

SPOILER: The bad guy dies.

I agree with you on the book. Some interesting stuff in there, no doubt, but far from great

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I had a lot of time to read while in the mountains and off the grid for Rosh Hashanah.

I polished off "What in G-d's Name" by Simon Rich (hilarious!), "The Cost of Hope" by Amanda Bennett (which told a good story but drew disappointingly few conclusions) and "The Subversive Copy Editor by Carol Fisher Salter (funny for those of us in the biz but way too schoolmarm) and... a fourth book from the local library that didn't come off my wish list.

Since I have nothing left on my library pile, "50 Shades" is likely (finally!) the next up... if only because I really ought to give it back to the gym manager. I hope it's (unintentionally?) funny, because I think that'll help me through the Yom Kippur fast.

6. Mira

Mira Member

"50 Shades" is an incredibly quick read. Plot is thin, sex scenes interesting, but I don't think I'll read the last two in the trilogy.

I think a title in the Silhouette Desire collection or an amped up Harlequin title would be a much better read compared to "50 Shades."

"Flowers in the Attic" was the erotica of my generation. Much more compelling, in my opinion.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm getting out of my comfort zone a little bit and reading some fiction. Made easy since my wife has a stack of about 10 million books she's read, so I let her pick one for me. She picked Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child. Apparently, it's a Jack Reacher-series novel and the movie's coming out soon.

I'm enjoying it so far. Nice change of pace.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who recommended Tana French's "Broken Harbour". Absolutely could not put it down. I'm now reading her previous 3, starting with "The Likeness".

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

"In the Woods" is my favorite.

I finished David Carr's "The Night of the Gun" last week. I had heard an excerpt on an NPR show and realized that our circles in those days likely overlapped. The book was interesting to me because of the memories of places and people it brought back. Other than the fun of reliving my misspent youth I didn't particularly like the book and definitely ended up not liking David Carr.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I feel tremendously torn between reading Chabon's new one and Junot Diaz's new one. #literarysnobproblems

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Reading John Irving's latest. Thoroughly enjoyable so far; I get the sense that this book will be much more political than his recent efforts.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The fiance interviewed Diaz and is writing a feature on him this week. He highly recommends his new one.

Draft saved Draft deleted