1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Also agree on Telegraph Avenue. I've been reading it for more than a month now -- I hardly ever pick it up. I really like it but it just hasn't hooked me.

I've got books backing up on the iPad but I don't want to bail on the Chabon book to move onto something else.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I would have quit around then if I weren't reading it for a book club I recently co-started. TA is a complete roller-coaster. Chabon just flings you around with his sentence structure. He doesn't bother slowing it down at all. There will be characters in there, and then 30 pages later he writes about them again and calls them by a different name or description and it's up to you to figure out who he's talking about. This is 100-mile-per-hour writing that you have to slow to the speed limit to read.

Then you get to the 12-page sentence and it's just like WTF. (Ulysses has the eight-sentence closing chapter.) Amazing, amazing imagery in the book. That's what I most looked forward to. Didn't really care what happened.

I also think it has ruined me for other books, at least for a time. I followed it up with a cute little novel called Love Bomb which I kinda skimmed through because Chabon just dunked my head in his book so much I nearly drowned. Needed to catch my breath and didn't even know it til I read something else.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Just started reading The Outpost by Jake Tapper.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well, from what I understand, Carlin only got access to Bruce after talking to a bunch of other people who talked about him (like Mike Appel and Vinny) so I guess Bruce was worried. You can really tell in the quotes from Bruce that he's annoyed with him although I heard he gave him three days access, which is a lot for him. I just think there is a LOT about Bruce that has never been told, especially with the whole failed first marriage and more about the severing of ties with the band. I mean Bruce could tell it all but who knows whether he ever will.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I, too, loved "Beautiful Ruins" and it is one of my top books of the year. But "Casual Vacancy" is living up to expectations. It's very funny and realistic.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

As a Lee Child/Jack Reacher fanatic, I really liked this piece:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8766396/lee-child-jim-grant-jack-reacher

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yes, thanks for sharing that. 30 cups of coffee in six or seven hours??

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For those who are interested: the Kindle version of Neil Young's "Waging Heavy Peace" is currently $1.99 on Amazon, today only.

9. accguy

accguy Member

Just finished the latest Grisham book -- The Racketeer.

It was typical Grisham: Not exactly the greatest literature, but a fun, breezy read. Dude can weave a tale.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Zipped through 90 pages of that last night. Can't wait to finish it off.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I love reading Grisham -- you know exactly what you're going to get, and you can get it in 24 hours. Easiest decent recent around.

That being said, I really enjoyed the beginning of The Racketeer.

I really despised the end.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

finished Books 2 & 3 of Hunger Games between Christmas and New Years. Good stuff, quick reading, especially considering that I am about 1/3 of the way through David M. Kennedy's Freedom From Fear. Alot of fun.

I bought The Complete Sherlock Holmes from Kindle for 99 cents or $1.99. Just started the first story/book.

I have Ken Follett's Fall of Giants, the 1st of the trilogy, to look forward to.

Draft saved Draft deleted