1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Mark Kriegle's "The Good Son" about Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. In the end, I was a little disappointed. I thought the end was a bit rushed. It's possible that I already knew much of what was in the book, although I still found it interesting.

"The Other Wes Moore" by Wes Moore. It's the stories of two guys named Wes Moore, both about the same age, both African-American and born in Baltimore - the author is a Rhodes Scholar and former White House Fellow and the other is in prison for life for murder. Fascinating. My friend's son had to read it for school and we've been passing it around the office.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I got 11/22/63 for my b-day last year and it has yet to hook me. I'm hoping it will very soon. Anyone read this?

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed 11/22/63. Give it a chance. It was the first King book I had read in years. After I finished it, I got Under the Dome, which kept me awake at nights. But it was also excellent. I then went on a King buying spree at some local library book sales, so I've got enough of his stuff to last me for years.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Read it and loved it. Hooked me in quicker than any of the other later King books have done.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Apologize of this has even touched on...

Reading "The Worst Team Money Could Buy" by Bob Klapisch and John Harper. About the 1992 Meta. A fascinating look, 20 years later, as this took place in the final years before the Internet and blogs found their place.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Peter Criss: Makeup to Breakup - One of the most depressing rock biographies I've read. Everyone in that band has severe psychological issues (Ace Frehley might be the worst of the lot... let's just say he believed he was from the planet Jandel and would look for it through a telescope...while masturbating). And Paul Stanley's favorite thing to do is to draw pictures of cocks like the kid in Superbad.

7. accguy

accguy Member

Just started Richard Ford's "Canada" last night. Have high hopes in part because of what has been discussed here.

8. Mira

Mira Member

Started Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel. Also got Bring Up the Bodies as a gift. Anybody read either of these books?

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Just finished Why Does E=mc2 (And Why Should We Care)? by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. I can be a Bear of Very Little Brain when it comes to higher mathematics, so I was pleasantly surprised to find this book breaking down the components of one of our most well-known equations using nothing more daunting than the Pythagorean Theorem. Even better, it clued me in to the work of Emmy Noether, who -- at a time when women weren't even allowed to graduate from German universities -- came up with the ideas of symmetry and conservation of momentum that underpin much of modern physics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/science/emmy-noether-the-most-significant-mathematician-youve-never-heard-of.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Best American series is part of the Kindle daily special on Amazon today. Available for 1.99 each.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just finished "The Generals" by Tom Ricks. Excellent if depressing at the end history of U.S. Army's top generals from WWII to today.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did he say anything about Norm Schwartzkopf?

Draft saved Draft deleted