1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks, I love those Sports compilations!

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Thanks! BASW is all downloaded.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I've started Wolf Hall. The "he" affectation is very irritating. For those who've read it: Did you get used to this? Better yet, did it stop? (Yeah, I know. Unlikely.)

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Thank for the reminder. Saw it and forgot this morning. Picked up BASW and Mystery.

5. dprince57

dprince57 Member

It never stops. But you do get used to it. Or I did. A great book.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I heard Ricks on NPR a few months ago talk about this book. It sounded fascinating, across the board.

Speaking of finishing, just wrapped up Glenn Stout's outstanding "Fenway 1912", about the building of Fenway and the very colorful and storyworthy 1912 Red Sox team that was faction-ridden, yet still managed to win 109 games and beat the Giants in the "World's Series" (as it was called).

I didn't realize how much of an arrogant prick Smoky Joe Wood (the last survivor of the '12 Sox, who actually lived until 1985) was, nor did I realize how they haphazardly added on to Fenway while the Red Sox were on a late-season roadie -- all to accommodate the expected crowds for the Series. Many of the additions led to what we now know and recognize about Fenway Park.

Stout left it on the table: a lot of research combined with a readable, informative style of writing.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm a Pat Conroy fan and just finished "My Losing Season."

Good book, but wow, what a rip job on his basketball coach at The Citadel.

It's a good thing he's a literary book writer -- although this one is autobiographical and first-hand, first-person in nature -- and not a newspaper writer.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Started Instant Replay today. Little embarrassed it's taken me this long to read it.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ha. Instant Replay may have been the first "grown-up" book I ever read. Either that or Catcher in the Rye. I thought Catcher in the Rye was going to be about a baseball player but I kept reading because I enjoyed the swearing, rants and rebellion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Interesting passage from Instant Replay....

"Newspaper reporters seem to have a habit of looking for sensationalism, of distorting and stretching the truth. Of course, there are exceptions, but sometimes I'm afraid they're few and far between."

Maybe the 60s weren't so different after all!!

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Make sure you pick up this one!

[​IMG]

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Recently finished Jim Lehrer's Super.
    It's a short, humorous, nostalgic murder-mystery novel set in 1956.
    Clark Gable one of a few non-fiction characters skillfully fictionalized by Lehrer.
    Lehrer's techniquie is quick, organic and concise.
    Perfectly light reading at 200 pages.
    I like tight bodies and tight writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted