1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

thanks. I'll do it that way.

2. Mira

Mira Member

Finished "Joyland" by Stephen King last night. It was short, sweet and a terrific read.

Crime novel set in the early 1970s at a carnival in North Carolina. College kid trying to track down a serial killer. Book is a coming of age story with a couple minor plots that weave nicely into the main story. No horror associated with this.

Book is softcover released by Hard Case Crime publishers. Really, really well done.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And if you've got a Kindle (or iPad, or whatever), the eBook version of "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" is $1.99 today only on Amazon.

4. heyabbott

SHIT, missed it by a day

While trying to figure out what to read I bought the wife Dan Brown's Inferno. We share a Kindle account so I started reading that. Fast read, but I can't help but picture Tom Hanks and hear him as Robert Langdon

5. Read Gone Girl last week on vacation.
    Pretty good story, but by the end I couldn't decide which character I hated more.

Glad to hear that. It'll be next up for me.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Just finished this. It's an old book (came out in 2003), but I just got into King's stuff the last couple of years, and this was my latest. Some of the 14 short stories were better than others, but still really good. Now it's onto Joyland.

[​IMG]

7. I have alwyas been much more a fan of his short stories and novellas than his novels.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought it really started to fall apart in the last 50-100 pages or so. Just became a conventional pot boiler, wit contrivances and plot holes and all. It seems like a book in which a novelist had a great concept and just couldn't carry it all the way through, don't you think?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just ordered Power Moves, by Karl Welzein. You should, too.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Knocked out Joyland in a couple of days. Really enjoyed it. Had some scary moments, but nothing creepy. Kinda had a little love story working through there as well.

[​IMG]

11. heyabbott

Has anyone tackled 'Infinite Jest'?

12. After I finished I was more interested in what sort of revenge Amy would enact on Jeff and Greta for ripping her off. If she was that nuts with the truck driver, I had no doubt she was planning a slow roast in hell for those two.

Draft saved Draft deleted