1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I love the short stories of Ursula Le Guin, who does describe herself as anarchist.
    Her story "The Ones Who Walked Away from Omelas" is one of the best readings I've seen of statism.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Aces.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Trying to read it. About 65 pages in and finding it dull. Not realy scary at all, unlike The Shining. I understand it's already being produced as a movie.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Nice George Lois Esquire cover shot of Ali reset.

5. HumanBeing

HumanBeing New Member

Ed Moloney "Voices From the Grave: Two Men's War in Ireland"

Jonathan Fenby's bio of De Gaulle "The General"

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I read Lovecraft to get into the Christmas spirit.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does/did The New Yorker publish a book of its collected short stories?

8. TheSportsPredictor

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Yorker-Stories-Ann-Beattie/dp/143916875X

9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I'm just starting "Southern League" by Larry Colton, and if that name is familiar then either you are a longtime Phillies fan or you're old enough to have been collecting baseball cards as a kid in the late '60s. (Colton made it to the majors for just one game as a relief pitcher with the Phillies in 1968 and is pictured on a rookie card by Topps).

Following his baseball career Colton took up the craft of writing non-fiction books and his work his highly respected and well received by the public and critics. He has written on diverse subjects but now at age 71 he's finally written a book that is at least on the surface about baseball. It's other main topic is the Civil Rights Movement because the work focuses on the 1964 Birmingham team of the Southern League, the first fully integrated team in the Deep South.

Colton is a master of non-fiction writing. He is a also a highly revered writing instructor and mentor to fledgling authors. He is also the primary organizer of an annual literary festival held each October in Portland, Oregon called "Wordstock".

10. TheSportsPredictor

Some I've read lately:

[​IMG]

Thought this was brilliant. It's the traditional year-in-a-life as the author follows a season of the Class A Clinton LumberKacks. But it's about so much more than baseball, as most of the good ones of this ilk are. In fact, it doesn't delve much into what happens on the field at all. The author follows the players and the fans alike, delving into their private lives, the life of the dying town the team plays in, and the hopes and dreams and realities facing the players. His characterizations are fantastic. You're going to be hearing about the author, Lucas Mann, down the road.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If you're looking for can't-put-'em-down thrillers, look here. I read each of these in less than a day. They careen back and forth between criminals and FBI pursuit in three- and-four-page chapters that make you think you can read juuuuuuuuuuuuust one more. Then you've read 15 more before you know it. The characters aren't deep but they aren't cliches, either.

[​IMG]

Loved Wally Lamb's first two, absolutely loved them. Two of my favorites of all time. His later work, including this one, not so much. Probably wouldn't have read this if I wasn't a Wally Lamb fan.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

TSP: Having lived near (and had work assignments in) Clinton, Iowa, I'll definitely track down that book about the LumberKings.

It's actually a neat little stadium ... I remember seeing Ian Kinsler when he played there. But yeah, no doubt, the town has seen much better days.

Thanks for the heads-up.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

TSP: I, too, am now planning to read Lucas Mann's book, just on the basis of your description. It sounds great, and I'd like to see if I'll enjoy it as much as you did.

Draft saved Draft deleted