1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

My boss just gave me that to read. I've got to get through a stack of other stuff for a competition I'm judging, then that's next on my list.

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Just finished Jeff Pearlman's "Showtime."

I thought it was overall good and well-done, but I also felt the ending was a bit abrupt.

3. Finished Joyland.
    Not one of King's better works, but not bad.
    It was a good way to kill time in an airport/plane trip, but it fell well short of a lot of this other stuff.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The City Game by Pete Axthelm, one of journalism's great lost talents.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a book about the IRA/The Troubles?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just picked up "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. Going to start it once I finish "Dance With Dragons" from the Song of Ice and Fire series.

I know there is an entire series, with the other books written by the author's son. Two friends of mine love the series and recommended it to me. I liked one of Michael Shaara's few other novels, "For Love of the Game," which was not released until after his death. Just curious what others who have read it might think.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I agree, but it would seem tough to find this because it is from the 1970s.

9. sostartled

sostartled Member

Flash Boys by Michael Lewis is a great read. It was interesting to me on a professional level because I was involved with a project at work that dealt with high frequency trading. This was also my first Michael Lewis book and I thought he did a great job with the story. It's a very technical subject and he made it easy to understand. I picked up Liar's Poker as my next read.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just finished this one:

[​IMG]

I've read many rock memoirs, but this is one of the best. Summers wrote it without a "Ghost in the Machine" writer, and his odd sense of humor shines throughout.

Unlike most rock bios — where you put up with the early days stuff to get to the party hearty stories of a rocker's prime popularity — the first part of the book chronicling Summer's pre-Police career is great.

His self-depreciating look at 1960s Flower Power London, and the goofy musicians who lived through it, is great reading.

"One Train Later" is right up there with Seb Hunter's book about 1980s metal (Hell Bent for Leather) in the British rock book parthenon.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I got6ta look for that one...just got James Fearnley's memoir of life with the Pogues out of the library. Can't wait to read that one.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Read "Liar's Poker" a few years ago, and enjoyed it tremendously. Seems like three lifetimes ago for Lewis.

Draft saved Draft deleted