1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

33rd of August is an all timer.

I was listening to the “One By Willie” podcast with Steve Earle, who mentions Newbury as the bridge between country and coffee house music.

OscarMadison and Flip Wilson like this.
  2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I love "One By Willie." I've emailed the host twice asking if he'll come speak to my college classes, but he hasn't replied, so I'll take that as a no.

Tighthead likes this.
  3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I really wanted to like this. I figured I could take some of what I read and incorporate it into my lesson on writing obituaries, but I didn't learn much. It's like the authors just searched "interesting facts about death" and put the results into a book. There's no depth at all. It kind of skims the surface on one topic, then jumps to something else. There's one section that's repeated. And it needs an editor.

Joe Bob says pass on this one.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Slaying the Dragon by Ben Riggs about the rise and fall of TSR, the company that produced Dungeons & Dragons.

Never been a gamer or into fantasy, but I love behind the scenes stories and this did not disappoint.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Might have to track that one down. There’s a lot of pitfalls and trap doors to be unearthed in TSR’s former home of Lake Geneva, Wis.

garrow likes this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention the book is only from 2022.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Just finished “I Don’t Want to Go Home: The Oral History of the Stone Pony” by Nick Corasaniti. Fairly breezy read and somewhat interesting in the context of the economic tumult which has been Asbury Park. Little Steven’s ego is a sight to behold in some of the quotes about the legacy of the Asbury Jukes. And as always, everything in that part of the world is so Bruce centric.

garrow likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The Man Who Broke Capitalism by David Gelles about Jack Welch. While not a biography per se, it is an absolutely stinging critique of him. He is portrayed as a greedy, heartless, unethical, delusional anti-Obama conspiracy theorist.

In this short volume, he covers many tangents (including Welch's time as GE CEO and the failures of his proteges at other companies) and pens a section on how to avoid Welchism.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted