1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bravo to Jason Taylor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is pretty much the first time I can recall a positive steroid test ever budging the needle in the NFL.

In MLB, Bonds and McGwire have yet to be shown (publicly) as testing positive, and yet the fucking needle's wiggling like an 8.5 just hit Palmdale.

Double standard, ya think?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The test that got Merriman was done back in July, and he's passed everything else since then. So technically he didn't play this season at all under anything illegal. And it's not like he sucked before or after the positive result, which leads me to think it really was an honest mistake of a tainted supplmenent. He's stupid for not making sure, of course, but still.

And of course since we're dealing with the Miami's biggest homer, it really doesn't matter what all gets said.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well technically Bonds, McGwire and Sosa never played under anything illegal either.

4. Under the laws of the United States, they did. And the fact that Palmeiro was able to get his 3,000th hit when he, the Orioles and MLB all knew he had tested positive is sort of comparable to Merriman. Sort of.

I'm sick of the baseball vs. football debate, but in this regard the baseball apologists are right. Why there hasn't been more outcry from football media is unsettling. I guess the only defense is there has always been football testing (how good we don't know) while baseball didn't have it until 2003, so the stigma that comes with baseball positive tests is almost retroactive.

5. Armchair_QB

Sosa and McGwire never tested positive for anything that we know of. McGwire was using andro when it was still available over the counter.

6. And weed, like Knowledge, is good.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

You forgot the sarcasm font.

8. Flying Headbutt

One isolated (and very stupid) incident at a time when he's been consistently dominant. That isn't sarcasm.

9. Armchair_QB

Isolated my ass. Nobody gets caught the first time.

10. Flying Headbutt

11. Because the rules of drug hysteria prevent it.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know Columbo is a big-time Miami homer, but he's not completely wrong here. Taylor definitely isn't wrong.

Yes, there is a self-serving element to these comments for Taylor and I don't think the guy is above a little self-promotion, but he is also smart enough to know the easy way out was to avoid this issue altogether. And obviously, if he's not clean, he deserves to be ripped to shreds. But there is no reason to believe Taylor isn't clean.

Taylor is absolutely right about Merriman. He cheated. To assume it was just one isolated incident or a tainted supplement or whatever excuse people want to use strikes me as naive. It is amazing to me the benefit of the doubt being given to Merriman, how little backlash he has faced for being caught cheating.

I just don't get why it is such a horrific offense if a baseball player uses steroids, but never seems to be a big deal when an NFL player gets busted. If anything, steroids seem to be more likely to make a difference in football than in baseball because the former is all about power and speed while all the muscles in the world won't help a baseball player who can't hit a curveball or throw a strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted