1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit or how I'll make a killing in forex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jun 23, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But it is the point.

If you don't have a passport, nothing changed in this regard.

So, when elites freak out about the changes, it falls on deaf ears for many.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with that assessment. But like I said, I do question the way they decided to "exact a little revenge" considering they're punishing themselves without improving their situation.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Whatever. A bit of a non sequitur to the convo Batman and I were having. But whatever.

FWIW, based on a quick search only 17% of people in the UK don't have passport. So....most of those who voted for Leave DO have a passport. I'll agree however that most of any country's citizens aren't going to work outside the country in a way that would require visas after leaving the EU.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Meanwhile the people doing the happy dance are the ones who think government can never solve any problems, and devote their lives to proving it and making sure of it.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not weighing in here, except to point out that Nigel Farage is the best British film villain ever. Seriously, how many Bond films could have benefited from this guy?

Today's EU parliament session has been amazing theater. The Europeans have been at their self-important and petulant-European best. And Farage is just a dick -- he reveled in telling them to fuck themselves. It's like the jeers nourish his soul. These clips don't even do it all justice, but a taste:

Here is Jean-Claude Juncker:

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is notable that Spain, whose economy has been in a 1932-style slump since the global financial crisis largely because of its eurozone membership, retains majority support for the EU, whereas Britain, whose economy has avoided catastrophe because of retaining the pound while obtaining other EU membership benefits, rejected the EU. It makes arguments that the Leave vote was based on economic grievances rather than cultural resentment (I'm trying to be nice) harder to sustain.

7. cranberry

It's not that much different from here. Ignorant folks who don't know why they're being left behind or who is responsible for it or what can be done about it are just lashing out.

Try explaining this to them:

The Left and Right Stumble on Globalization

elephant.png

8. YankeeFan

Reminder that Brit's hatred of immigrants isn't limited to scary brown ones:

9. cranberry

Yeah, I don't see how that makes it less despicable.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The English attitude towards foreigners has historically been savage but color-blind. Who did they treat worse than the Irish?

cranberry likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

It's not. Lots of racists in the UK.

Easy to bond with all sorts of people over a shared hatred of the UK.

Jamaican reggae songs have a lot in common with Irish folk songs.

Just worth pointing out that it's wrong to say it's all about scary colored people.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Nope. That's the reason for everything. Takes all the thought out of any issue.

Batman and old_tony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted