1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit or how I'll make a killing in forex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I know. People are acting like Britain is some third-world country cast adrift without the safety and security of some centuries-long institution.

Batman likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, Britain will survive -- as a theme park for US and Chinese tourists.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Good for posting that CD

6. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

It seemed like Y2K had about a 3 year buildup ending up as a non event. In USA it seemed like Brexit had about a 24 hr buildup ending in market meltdown.

How come this story and potential fallout was not a bigger story sooner?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to whether we'll see a Greece here -- you know, where they voted against the austerity measures before they voted for them. If somehow the Conservatives get kicked out in a snap election, I'd imagine the first thing Corbyn (a Euroskeptic, IIRC) would do would be to hold his nose and go for another referendum.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think there's a wide range of possibility that they don't go through with it. Starting the two-year clock requires an action by the PM. I'm thinking that in post-election polling, "Remain" will come out so far ahead that the politicians will feel safe reversing.

A lot of the "Leave" voters had today and will have the next three months to see the real version of their fantasy. They won't like it.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd tend to agree, but also ignoring the will of the people who took part in a nationwide referendum is not a good look. Any reversal would probably need another vote for the optics.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The "will of the people" is old-school nonsense. Globalists know better.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

i think LTL believes, as I do, that there are a lot of ignorant voters in Britain who are beginning to regret their decision now that they are starting to understand its economic consequences.

Democracy and "will of the people" are terrific, but it's sad that so many people in all parts of the Western world fail to take their rights seriously enough to inform themselves.

FYI, I'm among those who believe the EU is a dysfunctional institution in dire need of rethinking. The economic and immigration crises have demonstrated its flaws.

And as dumb as I think the Brexit vote was, it also seems possible that short-term economic beating the British will take over the decision could someday be considered worthwhile if the catastrophe serves as a catalyst for meaningful EU reform.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Reminds me of New Coke.

Draft saved Draft deleted