1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Meets Deficit Commitment- Early

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. In his lurid little imaginations, Xan. Pay it no mind. The thread needs to be 'jacked.
    I do not believe there is a line. I do not believe either Hanson or the president to whom he's sold his academic credentials is qualified to tell me where it is. He's calling for the government suppression -- covert or overt - of political speech. He's been wrong since 2003, and he's digging himself deeper.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hmm, I thought I was on a different thread.

So, to reiterate, rape rooms = bad.

Fiona Apple = great eyes, tremendous voice, lack of smiling; but that's OK now that I heard about her past.

Bush = ... OK, that's too easy.

3. So if you didn't know about her past you would be biased how or prejudge her how? You wouldn't think she is as sexy? Is she a piece of meat? Glad to hear that you think rape rooms = bad. Maybe we can get your views on genocide?

4. Songbird

My assertion is still that she never smiles. Then someone said why that is. I said OK.

As for rape and genocide, I do not agree with either practice.

My attempt at threadjacking fell short this time. Drats.

Continue your Bush/Anti-bush thread sans talk about beautiful-eyed Fiona Apple's unwillingness to smile.

5. Yeah - maybe FB can explain the "Fairness Doctrine" to us.

While you are at it - maybe you can explain why NPR and PBS get tax dollars while FOX News does not.

Don't sidestep this one FB. Give us a freakin' straight answer for a change.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Xan, I'm pretty sure this is the article.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/profile/story/9598050/fiona_apple_the_caged_bird_sings

7. "Television and the global news media have changed the perception of combat fatalities as well. CNN would have shown a very different Iwo Jima - bodies rotting on the beach, and probably no coverage of the flag-raising from Mount Suribachi. It is conventional wisdom now to praise the amazing accomplishment of June 6, 1944. But a few ex tempore editorial comments from Geraldo Rivera or Ted Koppel, reporting live from the bloody hedgerows where the Allied advance stalled not far from the D-Day beaches - a situation rife with intelligence failures, poor equipment and complete surprise at German tactics - might have forced a public outcry to withdraw the forces from the Normandy "debacle" before it became a "quagmire."
    -- VDH, 10/05

In 1943, it should be noted, because it believed that Americans should see the complete picture of WWII, the War Department lifted restrictions on photos of American losses.
    This is fun, actually.
    OTOH, VDH's writing on Sherman in The Soul Of Battle is really a first-class piece of work.
    As a pundit, ah, not so much.

UPDATE -- NPR and PBS get government money because they are government entities. Fox News,as you may not be aware, is not one, except metaphorically. of course. Good thing, too, because, if it weren't for the PBS money he got from Firing Line., William F. Buckley wouldn't have been able to keep National Review going long enough to develop an Online edition on which VDH could be wrong about so much stuff. And the NPR checks can't be much, since both Mara Liasson and Juan Williams have to moonlight as high-profile paid analysts on....wait for it... the Fox News Channel.

8. Songbird

Great, how the hell do I follow David Blaine's magic act?

The lede is power-packed. Her life in a nutshell. Now to the rest of the article ...

Thanks, Sportschick.

9. Almost as many US soldiers died in a training excercise for D-Day than have died in the entire war in Iraq.

In the modern media the military is the enemy and any story bad about them is to be published (witness the single "wintness" story about al-Zaqawi being shot and beaten by the military). We used to hear hero stories about people like Audie Murphy but the modern media is focused on victims now not heros. Just Google Jessica Lynch vs. James Coffman or Leigh Ann Hester to see exactly what I mean (and if you don't right away recognize the names of James Coffman or Leigh Ann Hester - then my point is proven)

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It was extremely well-written. One of my fav articles at the time.

11. There's no responding to this logically. Jessica Lynch's story -- like that of Pat Tillman, BTW -- was hyped BY THE PENTAGON, mostly to our old pal Sue Schmidt of the WaPo. "In the modern media the military is the enemy" is alternate-reality stuff, given the experience we've all had with the Embeds. The fact is, the war has gone horribly wrong, and its cheerleaders are casting about to blame anyone but themselves.

12. Songbird

Yeah, good article. She's a normal person with great ability.

When I lived in Bennington and went to Bennington College parties, people would talk about her sister (who went to Bennington) as having the real talent in the family. I've never heard Amber sing, but she'd have to be amazing if that's the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted