1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling all Sports Publishing LLC authors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DS, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Word for word.

Great post.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm going to say publicly what I just said in an obscenity-laden PM: Don't ever call me a liar. If you think I'm making things up to impress people on a message board, you're out of your fucking mind.

Let me distill my point down to a sentence or three: Dealing with a publisher isn't like buying a used car. There may not be a better deal, especially if it's a small house and you're a relative unknown. So don't sit back and assume they're just "playing the game" and presume that a better deal will be coming in another week. Some of the advice that's been offered here isn't necessarily relevant to the circumstances of most people reading SportsJournalists.com.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Sloan,

I tried to read your PM but it was so boring I didn't make it all the way through.

You insult the sj people by lowering the bar. They should try to do good books and one that sell rather than vanity projects. You must have family ties to a vanity publisher or somesuch. You are so wrong-minded that I can only presume you're in the pocket of LLC or another shyster outfit.

Being called a cocksucker by you is high praise.

YD&OHS, etc

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're right. But that doesn't mean 4.) does not exist: You've had a bad experience with agents and you'd rather deal with a small publisher 1-on-1 than deal with the bullshit of an agent who has no idea how to pitch your project and acts as if he's doing you a favor by spending two minutes a week talking to you on the phone.

Of course, I understand almost everyone's had a bad experience with agents. I'm just saying sometimes it's worth the reduced pay--and reduced aggrevation--to fly solo. Probably not a way to make a career of this, but...

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Congratulations on being the second asshole I've ever put on "ignore."

GFY, etc.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr H,

Maybe you can be sharp enough to represent yourself if you have an established relationship with an editor and a publisher, but there's no way you can engineer an auction. None.

YD&OHS, etc

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

down, boys....

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Smasher and FofF, even though you've been essentially talking to each other on the thread, you both know (or need to know) that discussing PMs publicly is a big no-no. But if you want to continue you'll have to do it there, because we're done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.