1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chad: Gumbel Stinks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Here's my beef: Each week, Chad is funny. He doesn't need to make outlandish, over-the-top garbage statements (eastern conference = worst in the history of sports!!) to grab your attention.

The only thing I can think that would turn editors off of Chad is that he plays no favorites, goes after everyone, and isn't going to change.

Have to respect that.

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Anyone remember the skit (I think SNL) with David Allen Greer playing Bryant Gumble during his Today Show stint? On camera he was this straight laced guy then during the commercial breaks, he asks, "Where are his bitches at?"

Funny stuff.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. CHad doesnt translate well to television...

4. Chad is spot on about TV needing less explication. Ray Scott could pack more drama and urgency in three words -- "This is ... Sayers!" than most announcers can manage in a monologue. Same reason why Vin Scully will go silent and let you hear the crowd react to a play. Oftentimes, less is more. A fact sadly lost on many of today's talking heads.

Draft saved Draft deleted