1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Weis is An ASS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That's an extremely bush league move to make by Weis and his lackeys. Hopefully Jeff Carroll will get help from his paper and his peers.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Another aside: The NFL issues an injury report because they believe that putting that information out in the open keeps the wise guys from slinking around as much, trying to get ``inside information.'' If it's a secret, you can be sure the big-time bettors will be trying to figure out a way to get in and find it out. If everyone knows star QB has a sore knee and is questionable, the wise guys lose a little bit of their advantage.

The fear is that withholding injury information attracts the bad guys, giving them one more opportunity to get their hooks into a player or someone else who can affect the outcome of a game (coach, trainer, team doctor, etc.)

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It sounds to me like Carroll is being penalized by ND for doing his job...

I've heard my share of horror stories about covering college football. I've heard stories about Notre Dame, Florida, Alabama, Michigan and Penn State being just about the worst places to covers when it comes to access and fucked up media policies.

But, if you're ever told that you can't ask a question, I would make it a point to ask the first three questions. Make the coach look like an ass and they'll know you can't be told what to do...

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Not only would I ask questions almost nonstop if I were this guy, but if I were one of the other reporters, I'd make damn sure I didn't say a word until this guy got all the questions out of his system.

I always enjoy it when a school starts believing that dealing with the press is more of a hassle than a benefit. Media wasn't so bad a couple years back when ND was suckin' balls and nobody other than these local gave two shits about them.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Look into becoming a Jesuit.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's times like this when I'm glad I cover the pros...

Don't get me wrong, at the pro level availability and access can be very limited and frustrating, but I don't think we have to deal with nearly as much day-to-day bullshit as college writers do.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's time like this when I'm glad to cover a I-AA football program/mid-major hoops program...
    They bend over backwards to accomodate me because no other media outlet else gives a shit.

8. billikens

billikens Member

Nice.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Just because you're Catholic doesn't mean you have to be a Notre Dame fan.

Not all Baptists turn to the south and bow to Waco every time Baylor plays.

(On second thought, there's a reason for that — Baylor sucks at football. Strike that.)

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's a bullsh*t situation.
    The EE and publisher should get involved, and the op/ed page should get involved, too.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Now there's some shoddy-journalism-bred hostility.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How is refusing to follow ND's 'protocol' unethical or shoddy journalism?
    I really hope the paper makes this a top priority, and I think it would be great if national outlets picked up on the story and looked into the problem from a borader perspective.

Draft saved Draft deleted