1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is sooooooooooooooooooooooo much money being dropped into battery technology right now, from cell phones, to iPads, to yard equipment, to cars, to drills, that there will be improvements.

The electric car is built. We are just waiting on better batteries.

I have no idea if the electric vehicle will ever move over to trucks, but for the job of only moving people and small items, it's the future.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. 93Devil

4. The Big Ragu

That isn't "get off my lawn," unless this is simply about wishful thinking, and anyone who presents anything other than your unsupported assertions is a crotch.

You stated, "I have no idea if the electric vehicle will ever move over to trucks, but for the job of only moving people and small items, it's the future."

I posted a link suggesting otherwise.

Here is the source for that story: http://www.lmc-auto.com/

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And at the time, research and development of the electric cars was halted because gasoline engines were more economical, because oil was cheap, and more dependable. As hybrid/electric technology improves and such cars become more efficient, dependable and affordable, I think they will become the obvious choice for the majority of drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. 93Devil

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/08/exxon-mobil-hybrid-vehicles_n_1136344.html

Exxon disagrees.

7. The Big Ragu

1) The story I linked to was from this week. I didn't go on a google search to try to disprove you.

2) I missed the part where Exxon says that electric is "the future." Can you point me to it?

3) That story is about hybrids, not electrics. Of course, being Exxon, they are still big on oil.

"By 2040, 90 percent of the world's transportation will still run on oil-based fuels, Exxon said. And drillers will find more than enough oil to satisfy a 25-percent jump in global fuel consumption. At current demand levels, Exxon estimated that the world has enough oil to last 100 years."

But other than that, yeah. Exxon disagrees -- if you read that story in Chinese, I suppose.

8. 93Devil

Who pays JD Power's bills? I'll take their surveys with a grain of salt.

9. The Big Ragu

You are all over the place. Except on point.

It wasn't a survey. LMC Automotive is a consulting firm. The automakers pay them for analysis and forecasting.

The automakers presumably use their data to do market planning and decide what products to develop. LMC's analysis might very well be wrong. But they have every incentive to try to produce reliable forecasts. Customers are less likely to subscribe to market advice from a forecaster who consistently gets things wrong.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

I am not sure what success Tesla has had. As a car maker, it has sold about 5,000 cars since going public. With its latest convertible debt offering -- it used a ridiculous stock price to raise more capital through a secondary stock offering and issuance of more debt -- the company has about a billion dollars in liabilities on the book. That is a shitload of debt. The majority of its revenue comes from selling emissions credits that the government gives them to other automakers. I'm not sitting here saying, "They need to make the battery cheaper." Any analysis of the company has to take a more basic step back, in my opinion. It's more like, "They have to derive a lot of revenue and do it quarter after quarter for the next how many years to have a sustainable business of any kind."

Where is that revenue going to come from? All the hocus pocus and press releases from Elon Musk in the world haven't answered that basic question.

12. 93Devil

[​IMG]

Now if the car was a piece of garbage, then you might be on to something. But. it's not, and that is a significant measure of success.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted