1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just read this in a column about GM's response to the recall story and it really irks me:

But investors are selling mostly on perception because the company’s financial stake in this case is extremely limited. Thanks to its 2009 bankruptcy, GM is not liable for problems prior to going Chapter 11. That means it’s only on the hook for repairs to the recalled cars. Wall Street estimates that cost at about $150 million.

Also, I thought this was the electric car news/debate thread. Is it also the GM news/debate thread?

I'm confused.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

That part was in the Car and Driver blog I linked.
    I figured this thread had gotten so far off topic, linking to other GM news at least brought it closer to topic. It might be a big enough deal for a new thread, who knows.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why does it irk you that GM would be treated like any other company that has emerged from Chapter 11?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's not bankruptcy attorneys who GM needs -- but criminal.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-303-deaths-linked-to-recall-gm-20140313,0,4720511.story#axzz2vwmriIpN

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Cran: It irks me that GM can create this problem and willfully ignore it for years but somehow not be liable. I'm not an expert on bankruptcy laws and procedures, so this might well be SOP. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

TV: DOJ has already begun an investigation through the U.S. Attorney's office in New York and is looking into potential criminal charges.

Also, note that the 303 deaths cited is a raw number for deaths in all accidents in those model vehicles in which the air bags did not deploy. There are a number of reasons that could have happened other than the faulty ignition switch and it's very likely many or most of those deaths had nothing to do with this particular defect. That said, I'd be willing to bet the number is higher than the 12 or 13 that have been confirmed so far.

6. murphyc

That 303 number comes with a big asterisk.
    http://blog.caranddriver.com/gm-aware-of-ignition-switch-problem-three-years-earlier-than-originally-stated-before-many-models-were-on-sale/

Regardless, I see this getting worse for GM in the days to come, especially as mainstream media starts picking up on it. For example, does anyone think the death number will stay at 12?
    This could really get worse for GM if it's determined more models have the same ignition issue.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sure Holder will get right to the bottom of any malfeasance at Obama Motors…

8. murphyc

So the first CEO in GM history is being called before Congress soon. At least she'll have company: the interim head of the NHTSA will be testifying as well.
    http://blog.caranddriver.com/gm-ceo-barra-called-to-testify-in-front-of-u-s-house-over-ignition-recall/

The timing of this is making me curious. Mary Barra was appointed CEO just a few weeks before this news broke. I can't help but wonder if some higher up honchos at GM weren't pleased with the selection and decided to make her job a bit more difficult. Of course that would make their own company hurt, but maybe they figured the 'new' GM couldn't be held liable so they wouldn't take a personal bath financially while Barra gets the honor of taking the hits as the CEO.
    Conspiracy theory sounding, I realize, but still...

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Tesla car buyer files lawsuit under Lemon Law.

http://bit.ly/1qeyQ4A

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tesla's the most important car manufacturer in the world?

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-most-important-automaker-20140620-story.html

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That Morgan Stanely report was a few days ago. It most got eye rolls. I happened to see this on TV that day:

video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000285547

"Most important" car company in the world doesn't really address the valuation I spoke about in what you quoted.

But no, I personally can't see any justification for calling a company that sold less than 23,000 cars last year the "most important car company in the world" (GM sold nearly 10 million) -- even in a game of throwing around silly and meaningless hyperbole.

Aside from that, there is still the ridiculous valuation that Morgan Stanley just ignores, projecting years out with insane numbers to create fantasy growth that will take a magic wand.

This is a momentum stock that has been driven by frenzied traders who pushed up lots of other momo stocks in what has led to a way overvalued stock market. I'd question anyone who tells me they are invested in Tesla for fundamental reasons -- they couldn't justify their position based on price, earnings, sales, etc. All anyone has is meaningless hyperbole and trading momentum (which has actually fizzled).

I would bet with reasonable certainty that Tesla stock will be trading at a third to a quarter of where it is now at some point -- maybe very soon, maybe 1 or 2 years out if the Fed can inflate the bubble even farther. If I could time that, I would short the stock. But the Federal Reserve can create asset price inflation that has the effect of driving up stocks even farther -- nobody can time when this is going to pop, even if it is a certainty, which is why you can't bet against Tesla unless you have very deep pockets to whether all the short squeezes. Whenever the stock market gets pin pricked and collapses, though, Tesla will be one of the biggest thuds. It is going to be a bloodbath.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So far this year, roughly 54,973 plug-in electric and battery-electric vehicles have been sold in the United States.

That sounds negligible at first — it's a scant 0.67 percent of the 8.1 million vehicles sold in 2014. But it also represents a 35 percent jump over last year. And both May and June were record sales months.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/28/5944065/electric-cars-plug-in-vehicles-rising-sales-US

Draft saved Draft deleted