1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

How nice it must be for you, given the diversity of perspectives you bring to discussions of political economy.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, what's with the personal attack?
    Moderators, please moderate the moderator.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Nah, just make him give us timely financial advice in a Reader's Digest format.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

But do it moderately.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This sounds a lot like the boilerplate argument that the general welfare clause is being interpreted too broadly. Which I agree with, to a certain extent. There are many things the private sector does well, and should do without interference from the government.

I'm talking specifically about renewable energy (well, and a segment of the medical industry, too) as compared to defense contracting.

If the baseline is vulnerability to "fraud, waste and abuse," well, that can be found anywhere, whether it is a "specifically enumerated" power or not. In fact, one might argue it's found MORE in the investments the government is uniquely positioned to make, which you seem to be defending. Therefore, it is not a strong argument against more discretionary investments like energy. It's an argument against grift of any kind. There's enough to fund quite a few things deemed to be in the public interest by BOTH sides, if/when the will is ever there to do it on the up-and-up.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Can you phrase that as a word problem so I can understand it better?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Whatever anyone thinks about my "perspective," I try to always address peoples' posts -- when they actually offer a perspective -- on the merits of what they have to say. I don't need to put words in your mouth over and over again to avoid addressing YOUR perspective, try to drag you down a rabbit hole of something unrelated that I am dreamed you said 10 years ago, or take a cheap shots at you -- on the thread or all over the board. I am not so bothered by disagreement or incapable of supporting my thoughts that when someone has a different perspective, I can't handle it. I do my best to make reasoned posts -- even if they are wordy and often typed sloppily in a rush and sometimes hard to follow for some people.

Cranberry isn't bad. If I disagree with something he posts or I find it illogical or poorly reasoned, I have never had any problem explaining WHY I think what I do -- in a lot of words, too. Occasionally he reciprocates. Other times, he does that selectively bold 10 words out of one of my long posts to try to take me on a trip to his circus. My style would be to either respond to what I had to say, or if I am not interested in that, wait for another post that I do want to respond to.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I've read this thread and the one on gold prices and various other ones that touch on the U.S. economy. So what I'm wondering is, what's the worst-case scenario for me, the average middle-class American, when the shit hits the fan? I don't own a home, but I do own several vehicles. Two kids and a wife. We have stable jobs, and together we make plenty of money to survive and even take the occasional vacation.

And on the other hand, what's the best-case scenario?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

To make more money than LTL can dream of.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh no -- I'm LIVING the dream, man. True, my buddies and I aren't the currency manipulators who pulled off the "crime without criminals" by the banks, but I do OK.

I got enough into real estate a long time ago that Ragu won't be able to buy and sell me. Not for cheap, anyway.

JC likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ragu is going to love Musk's latest Barnum act. Order a car in March that you'll get in two years:

Tesla Motors chief executive Elon Musk on Wednesday teased the car that is expected to be the company's true revolution: A high-performance, all-electric sedan that will be priced for the middle class.

The Model 3, as it is called, has been long cast as the car that could truly alter the landscape of the car industry. At $35,000, it would be competing with gas-powered sedans that are at the heart of the lineup for nameplates such as Lexus, Acura and others.

Tesla's cars have been getting otherworldly reviews. The high-end version of the Model S literally broke Consumer Reports' rating system last month, scoring a 103 out of a possible 100. The influential magazine had to re-calibrate its evaluation system after remarking that the car achieved the rare feat of luxury sport car performance with an ultra-efficient engine.

That this technology could be priced within reach of middle class drivers has generated a lot of buzz. But there was a catch. The Model 3, Musk said on Twitter, will be unveiled in March, and pre-orders will start then. But the actual car won't be available for another two years. Musk said it will take that long to get its so-called "Gigafactory" running at full capacity.

A Tesla priced at $35,000? It’s coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted