1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

LOL. Techbro Isiah Thomas strikes again!

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a fellow Miata owner, I can pretend to know what you went through; that’s a bummer bud. Hope you can find another Mazdaspeed.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It was an M Edition with an aftermarket supercharger. I've never owned a 'speed, although I have a friend who has one that's an absolute cream puff. Gives me wood every time I'm around it.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Since it had an supercharger that pointed me to a mazdaspeed. I almost bought one but honestly am glad I got my NC power hardtop instead.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Mazdaspeeds are a factory turbo that Mazda made for only a couple of years, '04 and '05, I think. That's the NB, the second gen Miata. The 1.8 four cylinder in the Miata was overbuilt from the jump, engineered to withstand being turboed but then they never did it with the exception of a few 'Speeds. They're really nice straight from the factory, but Flyin' Miata made a package of upgrade parts that added some punch to the factory turbo setup. He added several of those pieces plus custom valved Bilstein shocks, upgraded suspension bushings, etc. They're quite civilized, not a hot rod, but if you punch one it will go very quickly for you. A nice, well kept Mazdaspeed is hard to find any more.

A supercharger gives a Miata more low end acceleration and torque off the line, while the turbo pumps a lot more power into the top end of the power curve.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There's a perfectly reasonable explanation:

Poor choice of words, but you could say the same thing of any plant built in the last 40 years. The huge capital expense of building plants before any hope of sales was considered a barrier to entry in the auto business.

It's the same with chip fabrication plants. $15 billion spent before a single chip is sold.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand why Tesla would 'lose' money on factory space.

They were building them in tents for a while to meet demand.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's losing cash right now building huge factories that don't build anything right now. It's a long term investment.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds more to me like another excuse not to buy Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted