1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think he'd saying it's because supply chain snags and battery shortages are keeping him from running at capacity.

I'd suggest a few things: 1) Their margins were already anemic. They have been in the business of selling cars for a loss and I suspect it's catching up to them now that they can't just paper over the problem with more debt issuance or by diluting the stock with another offering. 2) I wonder if demand is dropping off. He'll tell you that demand is off the charts. I would like to see firsthand. One reason their margins are so weak is that the cars at cost are very expensive, and at a higher price to make margin they probably would see demand drop off a lot. They were just forced to raise prices on all of their models quite a bit, and I am wondering if that is going to be a demand-death knell, especially if the economy is dragging with borrowing costs rising.

I believe the factories he was complaining about are money pits. Remember how much hype there was when he announced them, though?

FWIW, Ford recently announced that it is going to shut a plant in Germany and shift the EV production it is anticipating in the next few years to a plant in Spain. The simple reason was that they can get the Spanish workers cheaper.

Azrael likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I've been poking around at electric cars this past week, as gas has neared $5 a gallon in the Houston area, and I was surprised at how many cars are now on the market, at price points competitive or lower than Tesla. Toyota doesn't have their model out yet - and it just got recalled in some markets for loose tire rods - but Hyundai and Kia have really well-reviewed all-electric cars in the low-30s price point. Throw in a $7,500 tax credit, and I'm interested in at least test driving one.

dixiehack likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Once the major mid-sized SUV’s like the RAV4, CR-V and Rogue go all-electric and under $40k-$45k it’s game over for Tesla as anything other than a vanity luxury item.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

His cars are way too unreliable as even a vanity item. Elon can say hi to John DeLorean in hell.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, maybe. But it's a different time. EVs are still expensive and with interest rates going upupupupupup, it might not take hold.

I bought a new car a year ago. Considered a hybrid, but was still out of my range. Got locked in at 1.75%.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

You were able to get a rebate of up to $7,500 on new electric vehicles from the feds and some states are offering additional rebates on top
    Of that. Not sure if that federal rebate phased out or not, but it’s helpful.

MileHigh and sgreenwell like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Gas prices pushed me into a hybrid. I figured if gas stays above $4, it’ll pay off in year three or four.

The CR-V is an underperformer as far as hybrids go, but I’m getting 41 mpg right now as I baby the gas.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I believe the rebate is based on the car seller hitting a certain sales mark, basically, allowing them to establish a foothold. So, no rebates for Tesla, but you can still get one for a Hyundai.

10. The Big Ragu

You believe correctly. :)

Interesting to me that people are calling it a rebate. What you are really getting is a government subsidy, not a rebate. The money doesn't come from the car manufacturer. It comes in the form of a $7500 tax credit against your Federal income tax.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Tesla supplier Panasonic getting $1 billion from Kansas to build the world's largest EV battery factory on a defunct military base.

12. The Big Ragu

Draft saved Draft deleted