1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago media and WNBA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sports Barf, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I can probably list a dozen journalists who made waterboarding stories sing back in Dubya's heyday.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"WNBA Twitter"

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How many of those same people brought up that few covered the NWSL, yet reported the scandal involving Paul Riley, the now-former coach of the North Carolina Courage?

The NWSL was doing fine and growing in bits and spurts - it has easily outlived its two women's professional predecessors - but nothing approached the level of the scandal story.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Big day in sports yesterday, Sunday NFL Football, Home team loses, Packers win in OT, huge shootout between Chargers and Browns. MLB playoffs Boston needs extra innings to win.
    Sports Front page includes WNBA game 1 between teams not from the circulation area and USMNT losing in World Cup qualifier.

I wish National and Political coverage would be so paternalistic as the sports department and tell us what we need to know, not what we want to know.

BurnsWhenIPee and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If I'm reading this correctly, the Chicago Sky had media availability on a Saturday afternoon in October in the third-largest market with a million teams to follow.

No... no... NO.

Schedule it on:
    Tuesday, 1-3 p.m.
    Wednesday, 1-3 p.m.

Mondays re-cap the weekend's games for the pros and those are often days where sports departments are on skeleton staffing.
    Assuming Tuesdays are still "off days" for NFL. THERE is your day.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

From the looks of it, the availability was for Game 3 of their playoff series on Sunday and they had played on the road Thursday, so they had to do it Saturday. It wasn't a normal in-season availability.

exmediahack likes this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Patchen likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

After the last game of the finals?!? What's the stance on that from the league apologist at the start of this thread?

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Perfectly within their right. Mental health is so important in this country and we don’t respect it enough.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Mercury has wanted more media attention for all of its existence. This playoff run they finally got what they wanted.

I am more than happy to go back to the status quo.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From AP:
    Does the Republic travel with the Mercury?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jeff Metcalfe was there for the Republic. He tweeted that it’s his final on-location assignment. He’s leaving the paper.

I know ASU’s student news staff also sent a reporter.

Draft saved Draft deleted