1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago media and WNBA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sports Barf, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No problem with the first thing for sure -- with social media the way it is, it helps add to the coverage with a more up close perspective. The 2nd I don't think can be helped / was intentional. It's going to happen in situations like that. Now the third point, I don't think I'd bring that up.

PaperClip529 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  2. You can’t get mad at her for the first or second things. The third thing … it’s the furthest thing from “old school,” but judging by the engagement she has on that tweet, it is connecting with her audience.

2muchcoffeeman and PaperClip529 like this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Eh there’s several media types in the background, I’m assuming thats on the court with the open availability chaos after a title win? Hard to stay out of shots in those situations

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. rubenmateo

rubenmateo Active Member

If she's taking phone pics for her publication's social/site, that's all fine. If she's doing it for her personal collection, I suppose it's tsk tsk, but I'd let her have a little fun as long as she wasn't doing it a ton to take away from reporting. Once you get past all that, I'm fine with the way she tweeted about it, bringing attention to the newspaper, urging followers to buy a copy. I would try to find out who took the photo and credit them.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I've said this for a loooong time.

If sports want "equal" coverage, they have to allow access that everyone else does but also be willing to be criticized and second-guessed during live broadcasts. If a team is cold shooting, they need to be called out. If they make stupid plays and shoot the ball early in the shot clock, call them out.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Well-Known Member

Those are three silly things to get pissed off at.

2muchcoffeeman and Flip Wilson like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If the former is the case, I sure wouldn't make a fuss about it on social media. Would anyone she's not related to or familiar with know who she is otherwise?

When I started covering juco basketball in the 90s, I staked out a position about halfway up the grandstand. When weSho got the game photos, found out I was within lens range. Shooter told me not to do that again. Sat courtside or high atop the stands ever since.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like the conference call wasn't the only thing nobody showed up for.

I Should Coco and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

That's gotta be disheartening.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

They should have rescheduled so as to not conflict with Lilith Fair.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The locker room door that Phoenix broke was on put stage for the rally. That's pretty funny. Even if there were only hundreds in attendance.

Draft saved Draft deleted