1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choose a side: Al Qaida declares war on France

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 14, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Hey, if you want one that bad, we'll give you ours. Not like we're using it.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sure you use it. Every time someone else tries to sanction Israel. :eek: :D

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We are special.

But to stay that way, we have to act like it . . . and behave in a deserving fashion . . . not
    as if we deserve it, just because we're us. Get it? Got it.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The French showed a higher intelligence than even I thought they possessed by telling our tete-de-merde POTUS to fuck himself.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Since (and yes, I'm aware of, and respect, the Resistance) they declined the issue in terms
    of going mano-a-mano en masse during the early stages of WWII . . . yes, they do.
    And I understand why they didn't. That doesn't wipe the slate clean. Of course, we can't
    act like assholes (2002 -- ?) . . .

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is that "special" in the short bus way or "special" in the "We're the cock of the walk" way?

7. pallister

pallister Guest

That doesn't make any fucking sense, Ben.

Because we are the country we are is exactly what makes us special. You're completely disingenuous to say, "We are special, but we don't necessarily deserve it." Yes, we do.

Who, exactly, is going to dictate how the United States behaves?

Perhaps you feel, and I'm crossthreading here, that a "world organization" should determine what is proper behavior.

Maybe a group of anonymous liberal journalists?

Who?

EDIT: The hatred of some on here for George Bush is so off the deep end that you'll defend anybody, any country, any organization just to make another stupid point about how you can't stand the president. If we started a thread entitled Choose a side: Al-Qaida declares war on the United States, the usual suspects would be on here eventually lecturing about all that is wrong with America, trying to come up with the wittiest insult for Fredo, Dubya, etc., and all the while they probably wouldn't have a negative thing to say about the bad guys. Then again, the bad guy is America, right?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

If you're advocating the establishment of a new world organization, please make sure the United States pays its dues before admitting it to full membership, much less a permanent seat on the Security Council equivalent.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What's your point? That America is beyond criticism? And that because you're the biggest, baddest motherfucker on earth that you're somehow "special"?

Give me a break.

And the condemnation of Fredo and his band of thugs is pretty much universal, except for the dimwitted mouthbreathers who are still prattling on about "either you're for us you're for the terrorists".

And yes, right now, I'm sorry to say, America is the "bad guy".

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Brief Canuck interrruption: JJ, you got hockey this weekend?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Palli: Yes, you are crossreading. Have no desire for a one-world government. Never have,
    never will.

Makes plenty of sense. This country's (specifically, this administration) has burned a good deal of the US's moral capital, in just the past couple of years . . . not to mention the considerable amount
    of blood, and insane volume of $$$$$, expended on a war based on lies, spin, and crony interests.

There is an enemy. It must be confronted, diligently, steadily, and intelligently. I have never been in favor of a withdrawl timetable. But thus far,
    this battle has largely been staged based on various neocon fantasies which have
    proven to be largely invalid, and have in many respects infinitely worsened an already-delicate Middle East situation.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Only an intellectuall idiot like yourself, J.R., would think my point was that America is beyond criticism. America's not perfect, and it never will be, but I think it is the best country on earth, and I don't have to be ashamed of that thought because a Canadian with a national inferiority complex doesn't like the "big, bad motherfuckers" to the south.

Draft saved Draft deleted