1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan's column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by runningman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

From what I've read and heard about her, I'm prone to agree about Summitt. She gets it. Then again, pulling on Superman's cape in Knoxville isn't going to happen.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I skimmed 90 percent of the posts here, but where's the vitriol for stating that Florida won a Division I national championship Monday night? The NCAA awards no such beast. They won a couple of polls.[/deadhorseflogged]

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Anyone who said Florida would hold basketball and football titles in the same year was wrong, of course. And yes, it's not even the same academic year. Saying Florida, with a win, would have held both titles at the same time was accurate. Some would, however, say Florida is the 2006 football champion, and the 2005-2006 men's basketball champion, so perhaps they think that means the year 2006 is common to both. It's more accurate to say they hold both titles at the same time, whatever that's worth.

As for me spewing vitriol, if I used "abusive or venomous language used to express blame or censure or bitter deep-seated ill will," I humbly apologize.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Not the same calendar year or the same academic year. The proper way to say it is that Florida is the reigning champion in both football and men's basketball.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Careful, you might cause people -- who have multiple posts on here, mind you -- to point out this is so trivial a topic it didn't merit a whole column. Of course, it merits their multiple posts, so it can't be too trivial.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Then why are they divided by gender?

7. Johnny Dangerously

According to some on here, they're not. They're divided by good basketball, and the other kind. Or basketball and women's basketball.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

J_D --

Please quote where someone said that.

All I've said is that THEY ARE NOT THE SAME SPORTS. And they aren't.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Geez, all this pent-up anger... I would have thought you'd have saved some of it for the USAT's cumfest on Jeremy Foley earlier this week...

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Both Brennan and some of the folks on this thread make a dangerous logical leap:That those who believe -- correctly, I might add -- that the two sports are separate sports automatically think the women's game is inferior.

I never said that, but that argument is repeatedely foisted upon me.

Throw out that straw man, and all you have left is a linguistic argument that Brennan can't win.

Full of sound and fury, etc.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This is a great column and she makes an interesting point.
    Women's sports has come so far, but there is still the perception among many that it's a "man's" world.
    Sports was founded as such and remains slanted toward the men.
    That's to be expected, because women's sports has never been able to come up with an equivalent to football.
    But Brennan makes an interesting and relevent point. I agree with her in what she's thinking here.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It was worth a column.

Draft saved Draft deleted