1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan's column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by runningman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And even with the top guys skipping to the pros and all those wonderful fundamentals, there is still no way a women's college team would beat a men's college team at the same level.

Put Maryland's top-ranked women's team on the floor with the men's team. What happens?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Since women's hoops has been talked about extensively here ...

Did anyone see the highlights of the Alabama-Kentucky women's game from yesterday? There may have been 25 people in the stands. It was nothing more than a glorified practice.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Perhaps, but look at any Auburn men's game (except Alabama) and you'd think the same thing. Shitty teams draw shitty crowds.

4. Songbird

Auburn just ain't been the same since Barkley!

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Or Porter.

6. Songbird

Was he No. 4? Maybe 8-10 years ago? Yeah, I really liked him.

7. outofplace

Because the level of play is part of the discussion. And in that regard, there is still a very large difference between men's and women's basketball, though not as wide a gap as there was 20 years ago.

8. outofplace

I never said you didn't. I just thought the column was a bit much and I like Brennan's work better when she stops repeating herself long enough to write about something else.

9. outofplace

Got ya...wasn't sure since it was following up off my post. I have stuff on both sides of this argument because I like the women's game, but I still see it as inferior to the men's.

10. Lane Myer

Lane Myer New Member

bingo. bingo. bingo.

the FACT is that men's and women's basketball have different equipment and different rules. therefore they are different games. one game is called "basketball" and refers to the men's game. the other is called "women's basketball" and refers to a different game.

there is no need to use the word "men's" to describe men's basketball because in the absence of a modifier, there is a universal assumption that the original version of the sport is being referred to. it's just that simple.

and to do that column without mentioning Tennessee is ridiculously lazy.

11. Lane Myer

Lane Myer New Member

the term "basketball" EQUALS "men's basketball".

why is that so hard to understand?

P.S.- that original version... with James Naismith and everything? played by MEN.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Pay no attention to the illogical newbie.

Draft saved Draft deleted