1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Bengals columnist -- Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

A columnist where at least 40% of the work is not writing.

Welcome to 2015.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Depends on if the "younger" writer is good.
    Every 22-25 year old thinks they should be a big-time columnist. Hell, I was one of those guys.
    Being a "fanboy" columnist isn't as easy as just writing rah-rah pieces. You have to be doing something different.
    WEEI.com hired Jerry Thornton, who spent about 10 years writing for BarstoolSports.com as the Patriots writer. Thornton is an unabashed Patriot loyalist, but he doesn't pretend to be anything else. He has a terrific Xs and Os mind and his Knee Jerk Reactions on the day after Patriots games were better and more entertaining than anything anyone else in New England was doing. At Barstool his traffic numbers were insane and in the last three years or so, he started doing regular radio spots before WEEI picked him up as a full-time blogger and on-air talent.
    If you think you can do this job, I'd start looking hard at the work he does. I think a lot of papers will be going this route sooner rather than later.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So if you're only focusing on the 25-45 audience 49.44 percent of the time, you're a failure.

4. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

10 years ago Gannett wanted to focus on women, then it was the older people, now it was 25-45. How about God Damn focusing on everyone since all media needs every reader they can get!

5. Baron Scicluna

You forgot minorities.

At one point at the Gannett paper I worked at, we had another one of those meetings where we were told to focus on specific groups, depending on age, education, income, that sort of thing. After a while at the meeting, coupled with our previous directives and the overlap, I figured out that we should have focused on everyone except white males over the age of 64 with less than a college degree, unless they made more than $60,000, or some figure like that.

I wish they would have just told us that. It would have shortened the meeting considerably.

6. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I forgot the one constant throughout the different incarnations of newsroom/information center/newsroom of the future.

7. rskinner

rskinner New Member

This was my old job. The columnist part came during the re-structuring. It gives some freedom for doing columns rather than just reporting. I am hoping this job gets filled as quickly as possible, because I left this position to work for a Cincy TV station and a non-compete is keeping me from that. I don't know the sports editor as he was hired right after I left, but have heard good things about him and he was very helpful to me in something I needed to complete after I left. This is a co-beat position and person you would work with, Paul Dehner Jr., is top-notch and a lot of fun on top of it. PM with any salary questions (pay rate is solid) or any other questions.

8. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Didn't see this posted, so ...

APSE: Jim Owczarski (@JimOwczarski), sports editor for OnMilwaukee, hired by Cincinnati Enquirer as columnist for Bengals

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

I believe the term was "mainstreaming," right?

10. Baron Scicluna

Yep

11. threesheets

threesheets New Member

Anyone have an update on this one?

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Has Cincy hired a SE yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted