1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Class warfare summed up in a simple joke (with an accompanying cartoon)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I presume then that you are not shopping at Whole Foods either.

You might consider not using electricity because utilities cause global warming.

I built my own windmill. I also sold all my gas vehicles and drive around in an clean burning propane golf cart.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

They'd better hurry while they still have collective bargaining rights.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If Goldman-Sachs is managing any of the funds I'm in, it bodes well.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Agreed. Trying to deny collective bargaining rights is way out of line.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Nope, never shop at Whole Foods. It's too far away and a shitty store, even if I wasn't boycotting. I don't use much electricity because I have electric heat and I live in a high-rise with huge windows and get a solar heating effect. As for gas vehicles, I only drive about three blocks to work so I'm not using much of that either. I'm sure there are many other things I could boycott but I try to boycott where I can because even if it doesn't make the tiniest bit of difference to these evil corporations, it makes me feel better that I'm not spending money to help them and I'm spending money to help companies I believe in.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've never set foot in a WalMart, either, and I've never used crappy Brawny paper towels or Vanity Fair napkins. Now I just have a reason beyond the inferior product quality.

And Rick, if your point is that there are jobs worse than those that WalMart offers, I agree.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Serious question, MITN: If you found out a friend was a Republican, would you stop being their friend? Or at least think less of them?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My point is that Wal-Mart's reputation for treating their workers like crap was well-earned, but it also trails the reality on the ground. They've made a lot of improvements in recent years.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Reality, like perspective, just gets in the way.

10. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I just needed to say this made me laugh, somewhat inappropriately loudly. Nicely done.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And as Walmart executives will secretly admit, they've made improvements because they're scared to death their workers will unionize. So they give them a little more here and there to placate them.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention, they had to be dragged kicking and screaming into it by the bad publicity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wal-Mart#Health_insurance

From the article:

"As of October 2005, Wal-Mart's health insurance covered 44% or approximately 572,000 of its 1.6 million U.S. workers.[57] In comparison, Wal-Mart rival and wholeseller Costco insures approximately 96% of its eligible workers, although Costco has been criticized by investors for its high labor costs."

"According to a September 2002 survey by the state of Georgia, one in four children of Wal-Mart employees were enrolled in PeachCare for Kids, the state's health-insurance program for uninsured children, compared to the state's second-biggest employer, Publix, which had one child in the program for every 22 employees.[61"

See, there are companies out there who can treat their workers well, and still make a few bucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.