1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Class warfare summed up in a simple joke (with an accompanying cartoon)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. A perfect way to look at it. All of Washington D.C. operates as a pay for play world. It's an inherently corrupt system. And the not-so-secret secret the strident "Democrat" and "Republican" or stupid "liberal" and "conservative" types who don't seem to grasp the real definitions of those words refuse to see is that there is absolutely no difference between the "sides." They are each milking whatever constituents they can for their power (and profit). And in return they pay it back with legislation that robs the country as a whole. The constituents differ to a slight extent, but it's largely the same entities that put up the big money, and they are paying it to anyone with their hand out.

Rant over. :)

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No, I blame Walmart for not having the social consciousness to bring their jobs up to a higher level.

I'm not talking about paying them $25/hour for a cashier. But at the same time, they can crank their rates up from $9 an hour to $12 an hour and not feel too much pain.

As I posted earlier, there were some other grocery chains that do the job right. They make money, and they treat their workers better. Wal-Mart had to be shamed into providing even a minimum of benefits for its workers, and even then, as has been pointed out, many of the workers use public benefits instead.

3. The Big Ragu

Walmart is a publicly-traded company answerable to it's shareholders.

If you own a mutual fund, you might be one of the people who doesn't treat his workers well enough.

It's a complete fantasyland to think the management of Walmart, or any other publicly-traded company, is going to intentionally increase its labor costs beyond a market rate, and then go to its shareholders and say, "We're going to give you less of a return, but people seem to think its the right thing to do."

That's a management team that isn't going to have its jobs for long.

4. Baron Scicluna

Until the day comes that people are banging on the shareholders' doors with pitchforks and torches.

At the rate the U.S. is going, it may be a couple of decades, but we're on our way.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

1. Thanks for posting the This Modern World cartoon by Tom Tomorrow. Dan is da man!

2. Walmart is more than just a convenient target for those looking to dump on corporations. It played a key role in the downfall of unions.

Sam Walton and his shrewd marketing crew went national in the late 1980s, early 1990s with their "Buy American, Shop at Wal-Mart" campaign (the name was hyphenated then). This was a clever way around the fact that they were a union-hating operation with a business plan to buy in bulk and undercut whatever prices the local stores could offer.

This, of course, led to the "always the low price" campaign and a convenient and quiet dumping of the Made-in-the-USA sales pitch. Good luck finding something "made in the USA" in Walmart (or most stores) today.

The main thing Walmart has done over the past two decades is change Americans' mindset. Instead of thinking of ourselves as "workers," we all consider ourselves "consumers."

Give the devil his due.

6. The Big Ragu

No one is banging on any doors with pitchforks. Walmart has never had any problem staffing its stores. And Walmart is not hurting for consumers leaving money at the cash register.

Just a reality you don't like.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

This. Anyone who shops at Wal-Mart knows that the "But these are entry level jobs" argument really hasn't been a valid one for years. More and more people are working or have worked second jobs.... RickStain and I are just two examples right here on the board, and I am guessing there are others.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

$9 an hour? Whoopee! That would be a $0.70/hr raise for my wife, who works at Publix (one of the companies consistently praised for doing right by their employees). She received a rating of "Role Model" --- the highest you can get --- on her latest evaluation, and received a 15-cent/hr raise. And the majority of employees you see at Publix are part-time. There's a reason for that, you know.

I had a lawn service that was charging me $35 to cut my lawn.

I suppose I could have paid them $40 "and not felt too much pain."

Instead, I got rid of them and hired another company to do it for $20.

In other words, we're really more similar to evil CEOs than we would like to believe. We do not want to pay a penny more for anything (product or service) than we have to.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You realize that you just raised their labor costs by 33%, right.

No business can sustain that.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Walmart has never been known for shrewd marketing.

They're very old fashioned. They've grown because they've driven costs down and they pass them along to their customers.

A few years ago, they hired Julie Roehm to update their marketing. Google her. It didn't begin or end well.

Also, some of you people who profess to be "green" should read up about Walmart. Part of how they've driven down costs is by pushing their vendors to reduce packaging.

If you remember, a used to come in a cardboard box. The weight of millions of those cardboard boxes added up an it took more fuel to deliver them. And, they all ended up in landfills.

Now, a stick of deodorant doesn't come in a cardboard box. That's because of Walmart and there are hundreds of other examples like it.

11. Baron Scicluna

This is true. I like to save money as much as anyone. Last year, I switched my car insurance from All State to Geico. Not only did it save me $100 per month, it also increased my coverage from 50/100/50 to 100/300/100.

But at the same time, it's ridiculous that one of the wealthiest families in America can get away with paying such cheap wages and poor benefits.

And Publix is based in the South, which has a much cheaper cost of living than the Northeast. The majority of them (roughly 70 percent) are in Florida, which has no state income tax. Publix also offers their employees health benefits, something that Wal-Mart had to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing.

I found this one cost of living calculator. $9/hour in Albany, NY (the state capital, which I felt was a fairer comparison than the extremes of NYC or Buffalo) is the equivalent of $7 in Jacksonville, Tampa, Bradenton, Palm Coast, and Fort Myers, $8 in Miami, Vero Beach, Sarasota, and Orlando (They didn't have Tallahassee listed).

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ole Sam put on a good act, but he always surrounded himself with top-notch people - even in marketing. I'm not sure why you bring Roehm into it. She wasn't canned because she was bucking the staid tradition of WM's marketing.

But Sam's gone now. Ivy League-types and MBAers are running the show, not an old Arkansas hillbilly with his huntin' dog and beat-up truck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.