1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Class warfare summed up in a simple joke (with an accompanying cartoon)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I can tell you for a fact that many major donors do so anonymously, or through corporations, and would not appear on that list.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Did I say "never interfere with business" or did I say "I'd like to hear better reasons"?

It's a slippery slope in both directions. We don't need to legislate away every time the free market creates situations that we don't like, and we don't need to be laissez-faire.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I could go to a different pharmacy, grocery store and gas station every day of the week in my county and it would take me years to hit them all.

If they're shutting their doors, I'm not seeing it.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Wait, Boom's rich? Why's he always so crotchety, and how does he have time to post on here so much? Shouldn't he be swimming in his money? Isn't that what rich people do? That's what I learned from "DuckTales."

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You said "start interfering with the way they run their business". What exactly is the interference?

Yeah, there's some regulations that seem ridiculous, and you always hear about a small mom-and-pop store having to fill out 50 pages of paperwork for some permit. But a lot of times, there's a reason for that regulation. And it's because at some point in the past, that lack of a regulation hurt someone.

6. RickStain

Anything that prevents them from doing business as they see fit.

But again, notice I clearly implied that regulation is perfectly fine *for a good reason*. The market isn't infallible and it frequently breaks down. But the law of unintended consequences in macroeconomics is a real bitch, so you need to use a light touch and use it only when it's really necessary.

If "the rich are getting a lot richer while the middle class stays comfortable but stagnant" is the reason, then that's not a particularly good reason to me.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

You never responded whether you considered health inspections and prevention of pollution as "for a good reason." I think "a light touch" resulted in some pretty bad things done by business in the past. If you want to know how things work without regulation, see China, dog food.

8. RickStain

I shouldn't have to. If the best response you can come up with is to imply that I don't want any regulations or restrictions on the market, then you aren't taking this conversation seriously enough to be worth a serious response.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'm not the one saying there shouldn't be any regulation. You haven't specified any you believe are warranted. So from that, I deduce you don't want any.

10. RickStain

Okay. Then I deduce that you want to nationalize all economic activity and remove all freedoms.

You supported some regulations, so I can only assume that you support total regulation.

I don't suppose you can pull up the quote where I said I didn't think there should be any regulation?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fixed.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Police state underway in Wisconsin. Police wait for court order to be issued so they can arrest protestors in Capitol. Being broadcast live on Ustream:

http://ricksmithshow.com/wisconsin/live

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.