1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland sportswriters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shallow_gal, Oct 8, 2008.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have no idea who is the best sportswriter in Cleveland. But I know Akron was the where the Knight's were from and it had a reputation as a really good paper for market of that size. Does Akron, now a Gannett property, or Lorain County (which I guess is a group) still staff Cleveland sports? Were the guys on that list who left replaced?

Also, FWIW, I have been to Northeasternr Ohio twice. Once to visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame and once to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I am very interested in the history of pro football and have no interest in rock and roll. But if you can only visit one go th0 the Rock and Roll Hall o Fame. Much better. And then Google Little Italy in Cleveland and drive there to eat. End of my Cleveland plug.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This list is 13 years old, chump change.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

That's northeastern Ohio.

The ABJ was a tremendous newspaper once upon a time ago.

4. sporty

sporty Member

It's a joke no matter how old it is!

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Cleveland market (and I was in college when this thread was started, but I've got your worst Cleveland sports writer of all time: Bruce Hooley.

In an occupation full of egos, his still stands out. Medium talent reporter who thinks he was God's gift to journalism. Way too opinionated for a beat guy.

But I guess that made him a perfect candidate to transition to screaming on AM radio for a living. I'm sure he's doing better financially.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Awk. Ward.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm going to set aside how I feel about nailing lifts onto the soles of the natives and just wish him the best in his fight.

9. sporty

sporty Member

Let me help y'all out with some names that should straight to the top that haven't been mentioned. Percy Allen (Seattle Times), Chris Broussard (Fox Sport, ESPN, NYT and ABJ), Darryl Ledbetter (Atlanta JC), Michael Holley (Boston Globe, ABJ).

10. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Zac Jackson (Athletic) has built a good rep in the last 10 years or so and he's really the only person I seek out on the Browns beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted