1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We live in a Facebook support avatar world.

If you can't show your support for something at first glance . . . it ain't worth it. "Someone has to SEE my support!!"

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If people don't believe the sacrifice is shared, they won't see the point in the sacrifice. If rich, powerful people get to do as they please, then I will get away with as much as I can, too, or so the saying goes.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

New converts! The evangelists are working!

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's gonna be solar, far less wind, going forward. Wind's gone about as far as it's going to go. (For one thing, it costs a lot in energy to haul the blades and bases.)

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Saying it over and over again doesn't make it any less dumb.

When Harvard's endowment divests from oil and gas companies, it is trying to please its donors, many of whom are concerned by the harm to the planet the products of those companies cause. There is nothing religious about this. What they are focused on couldn't be any more tangible and real.

For decades, there have been people sounding the alarm about the negative consequences of CO2 emissions and globally few people cared or did anything. Now we are getting extreme climate and weather events and it is waking some people up. The level of awareness has been raised, and there are more people who are concerned enough that they are advocating for various actions. Those people are not religious zealots.

These are simply people who are advocating for an action to try to combat a perceived problem. My problem with the woman who wrote that divestment article was that she was not openly acknowledging the costs of the action she was advocating for. And most people are going to care about that. But she's not a religious zealot. She's not someone who believes in fairy tales and worships invisible things. She is someone who is focused on something very real.

Just because the action of those investment funds is unlikely to have any immediate practical effect, doesn't make what they are doing into a "religion," either. Any more than when you make choices based on your values and preferences every day, there isn't someone following you around calling you a religious zealot in an attempt to try to be dismissive of your choice. When you choose a Coke instead of a Pepsi (for whatever your reasons), do you create a tedious "religion" narrative around it?

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

burn-of-folly-windmill-burning-man-2019-48889448691.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Is that from Van Helsing?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Burning Man.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, I disagree. I’ve followed this for awhile, have formed my own conclusions, and there you have it. I think there’s in part a willful naïveté about the coming costs of all this, a suspension of disbelief.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOLOLOLOL

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Maldives <<<<<<<< your 401(k)

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

401k?

There will be households in Europe spending more on utility bills than rent.

Factbox: Europe's efforts to shield households from soaring energy costs

Forecasters expect bills to be just below 6,000 pounds through next year as the cap is raised further, meaning households could be paying nearly 500 pounds a month for gas and electricity, a higher sum than rent or mortgage for many.

Draft saved Draft deleted